Chapter Eight

After the heated argument with their mother, Y/N and her brothers decided on getting an apartment of their own. By Y/N continuing to work alongside Ally and through Niall, Liam, Louis, and Harry's gigs, they earned enough to move out within the month.

"I'll never forgive you for leaving! All of you are ungrateful." Their mother yelled as they hauled their luggage out, Y/N ignored her comments until they became too much to bear.

"We'll never forgive you for being a piece of shit of a mother." Y/N stood her ground, staring her mother down. Niall loaded the last of their clothes and Harry pulled her away, shoving her inside the car.

Their mother watched them drive away, she had been left alone. Her ultimate fear had become a reality.

----

Months passed, with no word from Zayn. It was a challenge getting accustomed to his absence, but they were working on it - having family dinner and waking up for coffee together. Y/N and her four brothers had become a tight-knit family, the one they always wished of having.

Harry's temper was put in check, he no longer had bursts of anger - he hadn't been in a physical fight for a while.

Y/N's panic attacks weren't as frequent and her anxiety levels were at an all-time low.

Louis remained interested in medicine but no longer felt the necessity to be on high alert.

Liam seemed to be more grounded instead of lackadaisical, he often focused on work more than play.

Niall kept to his peacemaker ways, always aiming to defuse situations and arguments.

All together they showed improvement by leaving their toxic environment, they could only hope Zayn was able to do the same.

-----

The date of Lauren and Camila's wedding rolled around in the blink of an eye. Y/N found herself dodging her brothers through their crowded apartment, shoving them away to get ready in front of the mirror.

"Stop hogging the mirror!" Harry whined, fixing his long curly locks - he nudged his sister, trying to force her out of the bathroom.

"How about you get a haircut?" Y/N argued and Harry gasped at the idea, quickly styling his hair and shoving past her. The apartment barely fit the five of them and privacy was scarce but it was better than having to deal with their mother.

Y/N finished getting dressed, slipping on her black leather shoes and making final adjustments to her suit. She had decided suits were more comfortable than dresses and her brothers had helped her pick one out, although Harry and Liam did have contradicting opinions.

"I'll meet you there, don't be late!" She left to the venue half an hour early, a habit of her anxiety. Either way, she needed the time to adjust to the change of scenery. There was no harm in easing her nerves.

Y/N made her way towards the wide church building, stepping up the concrete stairs. She looked around at the stained-glass windows, observing the images painted onto them.

Her heart pounded with every step towards the entrance, she forced herself to reach the top one, working up the courage to make her way inside.

"Hey." Y/N's heart dropped, she turned around to face the voice greeting her.

It couldn't be.

She blinked in disbelief, letting her eyes wander over her brother. His hair was slicked back with a single loose strand over his eye, his patchy beard had finally filled in to frame his face. The backs of his hands were covered in tattoos, the collar of his tuxedo hid the ones on his neck but Y/N was certain he had full sleeves. Overall, he looked better - less stressed than he usually was.