Chapter 2: Day 1

Mark POV

Mark woke the next morning in a chipper mood. He jumped in a quick shower before dressing in his favorite pair of skinny jeans and his lucky flannel. He stopped by the guest bedroom, but Jack wasn't in there; the bed was made perfectly. He must have fallen asleep on the couch, Mark thought as he trotted down the stairs. Jack was exactly where he had left him the other night, though he had sprawled across the couch and covered himself in Mark's blanket.

For a moment Mark paused behind the couch, studying Jack's face as he slept, half hidden beneath the blanket. His hair was messy and askew, but the crease between his eyes was finally smooth, and he looked relaxed for the first time in a while. It looked as though he hadn't slept this soundly in a while, so Mark left him be. Before he turned away, however, he gently reached down and brushed a strand of hair out of Jack's face, his fingertips brushing against his forehead. The Irishman murmured in his sleep and tugged the blanket tighter around himself but didn't wake.

Sighing lightly, Mark heading into the kitchen to begin brewing some coffee. He made himself busy with cleaning up around the small room, breathing in the heavenly scent of brewing coffee. Once he was done, he poured himself a cup and turned to see Jack ambling into the kitchen. His hair was shoved up on one side of his head, and his jacket hung off one shoulder, exposing a good portion of his chest and upper right arm as he lifted it to blearily wipe at his eyes. Mark felt his heart twist when his eyes traveled further down to see Jack's jeans hanging low on his hips.

"I smelled coffee," Jack murmured in a gravelly morning voice. Mark fought back a chill and smiled at his friend, pouring him a cup and handing it over.

"Good morning to you too," Mark said, sipping at his own coffee. Jack grinned sheepishly and pulled his sweatshirt back on the right way. The pair sipped at their coffee for a while before Jack cleared his throat.

"Mind if I go take a shower? Then we can go see the guys?" Jack asked, placing his cup on the counter. Mark shook his head.

"Go ahead. I'll finish up some of my editing while you do." Jack nodded and disappeared up the stairs. Mark finished his coffee real quick before heading up to continue editing his videos.

Jack POV

He took a bit longer in the shower than he usually would have, allowing the hot water to beat some knots out of his back. However, when he got out, he noticed his lack of towel. Damn. He considered using his clothes to dry himself but pushed the thought away. Mark is simply my friend, he though, and I shouldn't be embarrassed.

"Hey Mark!" Jack hollered, sticking his head out the door. Mark peered into the hallway from his game room, his glasses sliding down his nose.

"Yeah?"

"Can you grab me a towel, please? I forgot to grab one." Jack asked, smiling guiltily. Mark's cheeks flushed a bit but he nodded, dug a towel out of the hall closet, and walked over to hand it to him. Jack took the towel and wrapped it quickly around his waist while opening the door a bit, letting some of the steam in the room travel into the hallway.

Mark POV

Jack secured the towel around his waist and opened the door some. Mark's breath caught in his throat as he gazed at Jack's bare chest, a few drops of water still trailing down his stomach to the narrow V of his hips. Mark could feel a blush racing up his cheeks, and was desperate to get back to his room.

"Yo- you- uh ne-e-ed anything else?" Mark stuttered, looking at his feet. He could feel Jack's eyes on him, but he kept his head down.

"No, that's all. Thanks man," he said, shutting the door. Mark swore he saw him smile, but he rushed to his room quickly. Twelve days was a long time, and Mark didn't know how long he'd make it.