Chapter Fourteen

Gran and I finish our tea and she decides to show me to my room. We walk into the house and I start walking into the guest bedroom. "Not in there." Gran says, continuing down the hall. Confused, I follow her. She stops in front of what I always thought was a closet. Gran reaches for a chain on her neck and pulls out a beautiful silver key that was hidden by her blouse. She takes off the necklace and opens the door with the key.

   "This is your room." says Gran smiling. She puts her hand out to hand me the key. I take the key and walk softly into the room. The walls are a light blue. There's a wooden wardrobe in the corner and a lovely bedspread on the bed that's pushed up against the wall. There are small windows high enough that nobody can see into, but you can get light out of them.  And get this, there's a crib in the other corner.

   I smile at the sight and turn around to hug my grandmother. Gran hugs me back and I take in her calming sent of lavenders. I feel a few tears drip down my face. I think I've cried more in these last few weeks than I have in my entire life. "Thank you." I say quietly. "You're always welcome here." she says, wiping away the tears on my face. I laugh and say, "A crib?" Gran smiles and says, "Well, it's going to need a place to sleep, isn't it?"