Chapter Twenty

My cold, stiff hands fumble for my phone. I quickly dial Gran's number. Ring. Ring. Ring. Come on Gran! Pick up! "Hello?" she says. Yes! "I'm not available right now, please leave a message!" Damn it!

 I quickly leave her a message telling her to meet me at the hospital. Then, I dial 999 and tell them my situation. "Stay where you are, we're coming." A woman tells me.

 I pull my jacket closer as I feel the first contraction coming on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lay on my white hospital bed. Gran grips my hand as another contraction comes.

 "Is she supposed to come this early?" I ask the doctor, who's on the other side of the room. The doctor turns her attention to me and laughs slightly. "Babies come early all of the time, don't worry." I relax a little through the pain.

  I turn to Gran. "I lost my job," I tell her, "They didn't want a girl with my 'image' working there." Gran frowns and squeezes my hand. "I'll support you and the little pumpkin until you find another job." I smile back at her. "Thanks Gran."

 I cry out in pain from the contraction. The doctor walks over hurriedly. "You're dilating faster than we thought, we are going to have you start pushing soon." She says. I nod. I'm ready.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

 "Last one, Ash." Gran says to me. I nod and she wipes some of the tears and sweat from my face. "And, push!" the doctor says. I push with all of my effort. The last thing I hear, before I black out, is the small cry of a new born baby. My baby.