Chapter Ten

Gran pulls onto the side of the street near my flat. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears. My mind was scolding itself. Mum expected so much more from you. Why did you have to be so irresponsible? Everybody knows you're supposed to use protection! I walk out of the car and Gran follows. I turn to her and raise my eyebrows. "What?" she asks. I roll my eyes and keep walking towards the door. I bend down and pick up the key from where it is hidden under the welcome mat. I'm about to put in the key, when the door swings open. I jump back a few feet, shocked. It's mum. "Ashlee Rose!" she scolds, "Where have you been?!?" Gran clears her throat and mum's eyes shift to her. "I took her out for awhile, you know, for some Granny time." Gran says with her eyes smiling, using the old name I used to call her. Mum looks like she is about to drop it, but I grudgingly decide that she is going to have to find out sometime. "No, mum. We need to talk." I say, looking at the ground.

 Gran and I sit on the loveseat in our living room area, while mum sits on the chair across from us. There is a pot of tea on the stove in the kitchen. I can hear the steam coming out of it. After a few more seconds of utterly awkward silence, my mum asks me, "So, what is so important that you need to talk about Ashlee?" That is one thing that I hate about my mother. She almost always uses my full name. That and the fact that she is unbearably strict. I mentally prepare myself for what is about to come. "Mum," I start, "I'm pregnant." Mum's lips straiten into a thin line. Her eyes narrow and her face hardens. Then, when she seems to be about to blow, she relaxes. Her face becoming softer.  "You're getting an abortion," Mum says with a smile.