Part 6 Plot "22 Steps via Anatomy of Story"

It's EPIC!  

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars.... How to create those stories:

This next layer of creating a sophisticated plot is explored by John Truby in his The Anatomy of Story.   Truby explores the depth of complexity in creating the great stories, the epic stories.   It's a fascinating read, even if you never plan to write an epic.  

Truby is very active in social media. You can find hundreds of hours of video of Truby.  He does workshops in Los Angeles, New York and London.  If, like me, you are intrigued by his philosophy on plot development, you'll want to follow him on Facebook and visit his website.  Maybe one day, I'll see you at a seminar!  

  Maybe one day, I'll see you at a seminar!  

Some story plots have another still another layer of complexity. These stories are thoroughly examined in John Truby's The Anatomy of Story. This work is an excellent resource and I reach for it countless times as I write--although I'm not writing an epic, it helps to keep my plots from fraying.  

Yes, the next 3 minute clip is not as exciting. However, it is very good information. Truby has a bucketload of clips on his website, Facebook Page and on You Tube. This one is specific to plot. Again, it's not flashy, but it is very good information for writers. I do highly recommend his book.  

If you are a fan of The Dark Knight, you will recognize the 22 steps.

I will not pretend to be at Truby's level of story telling sophistication.  I have copied below sections of his book that I feel will give you some footholds and ideas as to how to construct your story using this method.  However, I strongly recommend you purchase his book.  Even if you do not intend to use it for your story, it is a fascinating read.