Part 15 "Tricks for Revising and Editing"

Revising is reviewing the "big picture" to clarify ideas.

Editing is more geared to fixing grammar and spelling. (We love you spell check and grammar check).

Editing is the very last step before you publish. Often times, authors will hire editors--but it's possible to edit your own work.

I recognize WattPad writing gets the story out there--errors and all. And that's fine, if your audience is willing to roll with it. However, some stories you may want to attract other publishing opportunities. In other words, if you want to venture out to magazines and book publishers, you are going to need to revise and edit.

Here are some tips for your Revision process.

Before we begin the revision process, here is a favorite must-see writer's moment to make you smile

Tip #1: Let it Marinate.

In Stephen King's book On Writing, he recommends 6 weeks. He suggests that you just 'put it in a drawer and forget about it for at least 6 weeks.'

This distance allows you to look at it with "fresh eyes

This distance allows you to look at it with "fresh eyes." I'm always amazed when I read something that I wrote weeks before & it's as if I'm seeing for the first time. But, this allows me to find the holes in the story.

Be prepared to be both amazed and frustrated with what you wrote. Set out some time for yourself-- get into your favorite writing clothes, have the best munchies nearby and isolate yourself from all (even phone) interruptions

If possible, have the entire story as a hard copy. Arm yourself with sticky notes, highlighters and best pens. This is part of the process--enjoy the journey.

Tip #2: Think big picture

Now that you've let it sit for a few weeks, it's time to relook at your creation.  This is the part where you get comfy.  Surround yourself in your favorite writing environment and first be ready to enjoy reading what you've written.