Prologue

Prologue:

It was summer and I was out in the backyard hanging out with the boys, Kurt the playboy of the group, Daniel the noisy one, Aiden the heartbreaker, Jace and Jack the annoying twins, and then there is me, the heartthrob of the group, I can get every girl in just a blink of an eye but I chose not to, if I do, girls would be crying a river in my backyard and my mother wouldn’t approve of that.

As I was saying, we were hanging out in the hot tub sipping dad’s treasured wine as we talk about girls.

            “So dudes, there’s this girl I met.” Jace says, he’s the guy who thinks love’s the answer to everything.

            “Dude, not again!” Jack his twin complained

            “She was hot!”

            “She was a girl who worked in Starbucks and flashed you a smile. Dude, you’re hopeless.” Jack says exasperatedly

Before Jace could go any further with his perfect girl story again and defend himself—he thinks every girl who walks in his life is the One (Yes, Jace is the hopeless romantic in the group). Mom goes in, her hand on her hip tapping her toe in the process.

            “Is that your dad’s favorite wine?” she says calmly.

            “No, why?” I lied.

            “Reid, don’t do this.” She frustratingly says.

            “Not doing anything!” I say throwing my hands up, the boys started to laugh as well.

            “Can you be mature for just a minute?” Mom calmly but seriously said.

I stood up and followed her to the kitchen, she threw me a dry towel and walked in the house’s office.

            “Reid, you’re going to the masquerade with me.” She casually says sipping her champagne.

            “Mom, I’m eighteen! I can decide on my own and hell! I don’t want to go to that stupid party!” I nearly screamed.

            “If you can decide on your own, how come you’re still here living in the same house as your parents? You’re 18, aren’t you?”

            “What? Mom! You know what I mean!” She looks at me grinning and shrugs.

            “You’re going and that’s final. The maids already brought your suite for tonight.” She says and dismisses me, but before that I heard her mumble “Maybe you’ll meet a girl who’ll like you. Oh I do hope you will, I am NOT getting any younger.” I suppressed a faint laugh and shook my head.

            “Great news! I’m going to the masquerade ball with all the hot girls hidden in masks and I might find my girl!” I sarcastically told the guys.

            “Dude, sucks for you! We’re planning on going to Michael’s party, where girls are in bikinis! And best part is, they aren’t in masks!” Daniel screams happily and all them boys howled.

            “Jerks!” I yell at them and laugh.

It is 8 in the evening and I am seated next to mom in the limo. I was wearing a typical classy black Giorgio Armani tailored tuxedo, a very well-known designer from Italy. When mom said she bought me a tuxedo she wasn’t kidding, it was sent half across the world for just a masquerade ball.