The Poodle in my High School- Chapter 8

Hmm, Harley must really hate Jay if he's acting like that. I think I've already mentioned that he's really laid back. But why DOES he hate him? I rejoin the others outside, still thinking. 

"There's no need to be so rude, you know," Poodle says coldly, obviously thinking of my outburst from before. She narrows her eyes and fixes me with a slightly alarming stare, much like one a hawk might give to a mouse. 

"Huh?" I frown, not really listening. 

"I SAID, there's-" 

"Hey, Sally, calm down," Jay tells her. I raise my eyebrows. Surely he would be on his own sister's side? 

"Don't tell me what to do, Jason!" Poodle snaps. Jason? Oh. I thought Jay was his full name. 

"I wasn't telling you what to-" Jay begins angrily. 

"Uh, yes you were," Harley interrupts accusingly. "You can't even be nice to your own-" 

"Don't you tell me what to-" Jay starts furiously. 

"Hey, leave Harley alone!" I cut in, glaring at him. I hope he doesn't think he can mess with us like that. 

Harley glances at me. "It's okay, Keelie, he's just a-" 

"Excuse me?!?" Poodle shrieks. "That's my brother you're talking to!" 

"Well that's MY brother YOUR brother was talking to!" I remind her forcefully. 

"Hey, it wasn't my-" 

"HEY!!" mum shouts. We all jump about a foot in the air. We hadn't even realised that Mrs Scott and mum had been watching us through the open door. 

"I'm sorry," Mrs Scott apologises. "I think we'd better be going." 

"Yes," huffs Poodle, "let's." She turns on her heel and walks off to the car.  

"Don't you insult my sister again," Jay says, jabbing Harley in the chest. 

"I wasn't-" Harley protests, but Jay ignores him and follows Poodle. 

I narrow my eyes after him. Harley was right. He's nothing but an older version of his sister. So much for the nice guy who I'd run into today... I suddenly notice mum giving us an evil glare and scamper back into the house. "Bye," I mutter to my brother, retreating into my room. 

There's two messages from Ellie. The first one reads, <good luck with poodle. Yay, i get cherrie!>, and the second, <ur taking a while. Whens the funeral?> 

Despite myself, I smile. <hahah. this is keelie's ghost talking. Look after cherrie 4 me ok? It didn't go so well. No funeral, mums gonna kill me herself and burn the pieces> 

Then I let out a long breath. Wow. That had gone unbelievably bad. Now it looks like we're on non-speaking terms with both Poodle AND Jay. Battle of the siblings, live at my house. 

<that bad, huh? Poor you> Ellie replies sympathetically. I sigh. Cherrie pushes her way through the cat flap in my door and jumps onto my lap. "Want to swap places?" I whisper to her as I hear mum's footsteps pounding towards us. 

"Keelie, I'm very disappointed in you," she frowns. "I expected better." 

"But mum, she's-" 

"I don't want to hear it!" she snaps. "Now stay in here until I say you can come out!" 

Argh! Aren't mothers so frustrating? I text Ellie. <Great, death by isolation> 

What am I meant to do now? I'm bored already, and I know if I try to do any homework I'll end up ripping it to pieces. I still can't believe that Poodle's my neighbour. And lucky me, I can see their house from my window. It's on a hill next to our place, to the right. As I watch I see a car pull up and a figure storming inside. That has to be Poodle. She's followed by Jay and finally their mother. I have a feeling that they'll be punished too.