Chapter five.

I began seeing him everywhere on campus. In the Dining Hall, at the small local cafe near the library. He seemed to be everywhere i looked. It seemed as if I couldn’t get away from him. It was making me feel anxious to speak to him but I could never gather the courage to up and to him ad say, “Hey, remember me? Zayn the guy from the library. The loud one!”

I mostly kept what was going on to myself. But I could tell Liam was catching on. He sensed as if something was wrong. He constantly nagged at me. I was far more quiet than usual. But I never told him what was going through my head. All that seemed to filter through it was Harry and how he was. I kept thinking what he was doing, what he was thinking, was he thinking of me? Probably not. We had only talked once. He was constantly on my mind. Constantly thinking of him. It felt as though I was love-struck. I probably was and didn’t realize it. 

Sighing, I got up from the couch in the family room. I simply couldn’t get him off my mind. I began to pace in front of the couch. “What should I do?” I muttered to myself, “Maybe I just grow some balls and just go up and talk to him. Maybe he’ll actually remember. I have nothing to lose.”

“What do you mean you have nothing to lose?” Liam asked me as he walked past to get to the recliner. 

“Oh, Nothing..” My voice drifted off.

“No, seriously. What are you talking about? You’ve been off for the past couple of weeks, you’re not yourself and I’m starting to get worried about you. Normally, you read or at least sketch but all you do is sit and stare at the wall all day. It’s gotten kind of frustrating. You better not be going off the deep end,” he sighed running his hands through his hair, “Whatever your’re gonna do, grow a pair and do it. I don’t know what it is but whatever it is, it’s keeping you from being sane.”

I stared blankly at him, I didn’t know what to say. I thought he was going to pressure me until I told him or until I dropped a subtle hint but he simply just gave me a advice and let it go. I never felt more thankful in my life. I’m glad he didn’t continue pestering me. Relief washed over me.

“Thanks, Li. Maybe, I’ll tell you later.” I told him, wringing my hands out, “I’ll be back. I have to go do something.”

Looking down at my feet as they took small steps towards my bedroom, I glanced up and slammed right into the wall. I groaned in pain and grabbed my head. I should’ve been looking where I was going, grabbing ahold of the wall, I shook my head and took a step towards my door. 

“Liam’s right. I should just grow a pair and go up and talk to him. I’ve got nothing to lose and plus the only negative thing is that he won’t remember me. The bright side being that I’ll be talking to him.” I thought to myself as I grabbed my bag and stuffed my things into it, slipping on my shoes. 

I hope this goes well. I honestly do. 

“Li?” I called out.

“Yeah? What’s up?” he said.

“Can you give me a lift to the library? I have to do something. I need to ...” I hesitated.

“Yeah, I’ll take you and what do you need to do?”

“I need to go find someone there. This person is the reason to why I’m being so weird. I won’t say anything else.” I explained. I didn’t want to go in depth with who the person was, I just knew that possibly he could be there or he could be out and about living his life like it was a normal day without a thought of me.

“Okay. Let’s go,” as he glanced at me curiously and grabbed his keys,”I hope it goes well for you.”

Suddenly we were in front of the library. It looked mockingly at me. I felt the urge to suddenly back out but I knew I couldn’t. I hadn’t gotten this far, well not really. But I went this far to try and talk to Harry, gulping I glanced over at Liam. He was looking at me expectantly.

“Aren’t you going to get out? You do know, you just can’t sit and stare at it. You have to go in, to do whatever you’re going to do.”

“I know. Just give me a minute. I need to collect my thoughts.”

Sighing, I took ahold of the handle and pushed the door open, I glanced up and the building looked even more threatening than before in the car. Now or never, I thought sourly to myself and stuck a boot clad foot out the door on to the sideway. 

“I’ll see you later, okay? I’ll probably be here later. I’ll walk home.”

“Alright, Bye Zayn. Louis is coming over. So I might not be home or I will be. Depending. I’ll see you later.” He told me and waved me bye. His car pulling away from the sideway, the rear lights fading away down the street.

It’s now or never, I thought again to myself as I walked up the stairs leading to the library. Don’t be so afraid. You have nothing to lose. I kept repeating those words over and over again as I pushed open the library doors.

“It’ll be okay, just think positively. You’re already here, no running back.” I mumbled. This huge wave of uneasiness swept over me, I wanted to dash back outside and run home. But I couldn’t I had to grow a pair. I wanted to talk to him. I had to get this over with. No turning back as I jerkily made my way up the stairs leading to the second floor. Crossing my fingers, I prayed that he was here like before.

My prayer was answered as I took the final step. I saw his familiar mop of curls but what caught me off guard was that his shoulders were hunched and shaking, his head in his hands as his fingers gripped his hair.

I could feel my heart shatter at this sight. I stood there dumbly. My bag tumbling off my shoulders and crashing to the floor, creating a loud bang that echoed though the area.

He glanced up at me, and shakily said, “Z-zayn? What are you doing here?”