Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My phone vibrated as a new email is being received. Huh. That's weird. Normally all emails will be forwarded to Albus instead of me. Unless it's my own personal mailbox?

I quickly unlocked my iPhone and tapped the email icon. No messages on the joint account for the group but there was an unread message in my personal account.

I figured that it was important since I rarely got email on my personal account, so I opened up a new tab on my laptop and logged on to my email account.

The sender was marked SM Entertainment. Hmm, I wondered what did SM wanted from me?

I quickly opened the email and gasped as I read the following:

_________________________________

Hello, Lily Zhang. We are happy to inform you that you are picked to be a trainee at SM through our SM Casting System.

We have been studying you since you've started uploading cover videos with your group, Contagious. And we were even pleased when your live performances were better than the videos.

We would be lucky to have someone as talented as you to join our family. We're sorry if we weren't able to recruit your entire group, but we have already had a project and album in mind that suits you.

We have heard that CUBE Entertainment might recruit your entire group, but it might not be confirmed. We hope you would not tell your teammates about it and leave quietly.

We know the whole lot of you are close and tell each other everything, but please do not tell them about it yet because it is not really confirmed.

Apart from this email, we've sent a black and white letter and your plane ticket. If you choose to accept our offer, we will be seeing you at 12am KST on 25th of December 2013. But if you choose to decline our offer, please note that we are really interested in you and your talents and we would be sad to lose someone of such great talent.

Sincerely,

Lee Soo Man.

_________________________________

Holy shit.

I.

Am.

Selected.

As.

An.

SM.

Trainee?!

How the hell did this happen? OMG, I'm so freaking happy right now. Should I jump and scream? Wait, no. I shouldn't. Mom and dad would think I've gone crazy.

I reread the email again and saw another news. I frowned and groaned as I noticed my crew wouldn't be with me if I accepted their offer.

"Lily! You have mail!"

My mom yelled at me as our daily mail arrived. I was in my room and had to walk down a flight of stairs before reaching the ground floor and finding my mom staring at a letter with the SM Entertainment logo on it.

Well, that was fast. I didn't think they would be able to send it in just five minutes after my email arrived. Hmm, maybe they mailed it early to arrive the exact same time as the email.

"Care to explain this, honey?" My mom raised her eyebrow while playing around with the letter. She was on leave to prep us ready for the new school year which begins on January 2nd.

"Uh..."

"Oh, don't uh me, missy. I know what's going to happen. I received an email too, you know. Being your manager and all."

She was right. If SM wanted to recruit me as a trainee, they would send an email to my manager too, which in this case, my mom was my/Contagious' manager.

I sat on the chair and plopped myself onto the island. "So what do you think I should do?"

Her face softened and she slid into the seat next to me. "You either choose to accept or decline, honey. It's just that simple. Whether you want to further your career or you want it just the way it is right now."

"You know it's not that easy, mom. If I accept, I would have to cut off any connections I have left with my crew. Plus they wouldn't be there with me." I groaned and dropped my head onto my arms.

"Honey, sometimes we need to make decisions for the better. Plus you did say that Deirdre was a good singer and dancer but was always too shy. This could be her time to shine, honey. Don't you want that for one of your best friends?" My mom placed a hand on my shoulder.

I looked up and rested my chin on my arm. "Maybe you're right. But I've been with my crew for a whole year. A whole year since we became famous for what we're doing." I sighed and frowned.

My mom got out of her seat and took the rest of the mail. She placed my letter on the island and gave me one last look before going to the study.

"I know how you feel, honey. But you have to make your own choices. If you accept, you can make your own living and help promote your friends. If you reject, you'll just stay here, unknown to the world unless they know you from YouTube as cover artistes."

I nodded and watched as she left the kitchen. I sighed and walked up to my room with a cup of water. I opened up my drawer and took out some papers, envelopes and a pen.

I took up a deep breath and picked up my pen.