37. No More Secrets

"What the hell is this?" I asked furiously.

"Justin, you have to calm down..." she said.

"Why are you watching my daughter? Are you working for someone? You have to tell me now, otherwise I will search this place myself", I said.

"It's not what you think detective. I am not working for anybody. It's my own personal hobby to watch or to protect someone I need", she said.

"You know, it's illegal to stalk someone whether it's a baby or an adult", I said.

"What about murder? Is it legal?" she asked.

"Then I am gonna arrest you and search this place for evidence, if that is what you are suggesting", I said.

"If you don't trust me, I won't trust you with this information. Our deal is off", she said.

"Then give me a valid reason for your actions. I am here covering for you but you were going out spying everyone. What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"I am not spying on anyone except Ariadne. I am just watching her. I want her to be safe when you were busy with your work", she said.

"I can protect my daughter. Roxy is a smart girl and she will do right by my daughter", I said.

"And so is Claire. She is smart enough to be your wife", she said.

I looked at her fiercely.

"You think my daughter needs something more than protection," I asked.

She looked at me sternly.

"Is that why you are here, in front of a computer, protecting my daughter rather than protecting your own uncle", I asked.

She was silent for a minute

"I see myself in her. A young girl, lost her loved ones in the hands of a drug lord because her father is trying to bring justice but she is just a baby unlike me", she said trembling.

I have nothing to say so I looked away. I watched my daughter sleeping peacefully in her crib and my lips curved a smile.

"I couldn't face James. I feel guilty for my actions. Soon he gonna knew about me and then he will hate me. My father would never want me like this and so is he", she said with watery eyes.

I nodded weakly.

"I am sorry; I can't continue this without your trust. This is my life time work and I can't give this to someone who doesn't have enough faith in me", she said.

"I care for my little girl; I couldn't always be there for her so I left someone to watch her but then I found someone is spying on her. I wouldn't have come to you if I didn't trust you", I said.

"I feel the same way about her. So tell me detective, is it a crime to protect a baby who is vulnerable?" she asked.

"I don't want any secret between us. That's all I want and my daughter is not vulnerable. Roxie is more than you think", I said.

"Yes, she is. How do you think you found Roxie? Do you think a girl like her would ever end up as a nanny because of poverty?" she asked.

"Do you send her to me?" I asked sharply.

"Maybe yes, you said no more secrets", she said with her devilish charm.

"Do you have some more secrets?" I asked irritated.

"That's all for now detective. If I have more, I will tell you. By the way, I will be done with my job soon so make your own plan to arrest me", she said.