58. Epilogue

I was sitting idly thinking about my last encounter with that vicious psychopath who preys on young girls for pleasure. That monster almost killed me but somehow taking a person's life feels bad to me.

Pulling a trigger is the worst part in my career even though how cruel our opponent is. I have to walk through this otherwise it will consume me.

For the past few days city is over flowing with crimes and I could see almost every type of case files on my desk murder, rape, suicide, serial killers and hit and run.

But there is always a time for that particular file which I kept hidden in my cabinet. That is my favourite case, still needs to be solved. I have been looking at the file for the last two months but nothing in this report seems satisfied.

Her death was treated as accident but the cause of the accident was undetermined. In addition to that there was arsenic in the water and it nearly killed four officers including my dad.

Nobody could piece this puzzle together. The only question is why did she fell down? And there is no exact answer for that.

Science could determine the facts up to certain extent and there are still many unsolved facts and riddles that nobody could explain. Here I am dealing with one of the enigma. But I really need to find the answer for her death.

As I was rumbling through the files, my phone buzzed.

"Captain's call"

I quickly put on my coat and headed to the elevator.

I gently knocked on the door twice before entering in.

"She is here. I will call you later", I heard him saying on the phone.

"Come in and have a seat", he said.

I quietly reached for the chair beside him. I was still thinking for the reason behind his call. There are million reasons running in my mind but I could possibly think of one.

He gonna kick my ass for nearly screwing up on my last case.

"You did a great job on your last case", he said skimming through the folder he was holding.

I just looked at him in a confused state.

"I appreciate your attitude even though you went off the track. But I won't entertain this again. Are we clear?" he asked.

"Yes sir, I get it", I said.

"How about I promote you to supervise the unit? Are you ready for this?" he asked sternly.

I nearly choked up.

"I... I am ready sir", I said.

"You are the only person I could count on so don't screw it up", he said.

"Duly noted sir", I said.

As I was reaching for the door he called me.

"Ms. Waverley..."

I turned at him.

"Convey my regards to your dad", he said.

"Thank you sir, I will", I said.

As soon as I went out, I took my phone which was constantly buzzing in my pocket.

"Dad...what's up?"

"Are you busy sweetie?"

"I just had a little chat with my Captain", I said.

"Is everything alright?" he asked in a concern tone.

"Nothing serious dad, just a formal conversation", I said.

"Are you up tonight? Ellie is cooking your favourite dinner", he asked eagerly.

"I will be there dad. Keep your door open", I smiled widely.

.......................................

After my day I went straight to the old cemetery by the church and walked through the grass until I reached my mother's grave.

It's been a while since I visited the place. Dry leaves were all over the stone and I could barely read her name, so I just tossed all the dirt from the stone. Ann Claire Waverley was neatly sculpted on the stone.

I couldn't remember the day she died but I could still hear her screaming for me, every day in my sleep.

She was lying there not knowing what happened to her. It's the worst thing that happened to her.

I placed her favourite flowers and I just stood there silently for a minute with my eyes closed.

I got promoted mom and I feel very happy. But something is nagging me. I always promised myself to find the truth behind your death. And once again I was left with no clue of what happened to you.

It's been 29 years and dad needs some closure or at least I have to know. Only then I would be at peace.

I nearly lost myself on my last case and dad was concerned about me. I have to give him hope. I love this job mom and I never wanna quit.

But I promise you that I will find the truth no matter what it takes.

I love you mom. I miss you.

You gave your life for me. It's the least I could do for you.

...................................THE END..................................

Hi guys, finally here we are at the end of the story.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my story. It's been a long journey with Justin and this path continues with Ariadne.

So let me know what you think and comment your ideas below.

Please vote for me and share my story.

Let me know what type of story you guys are expecting from me. I decided to end this story with single part but if you guys want a sequel feel free to tell me.

I will be back with another thrilling story. 

Until then take care, keep reading and see you guys.

Love,

Dorathy.

.......................................