From silence to noise

(yeah, I know I'm very late in posting, don't shoot me...)

"Happy Christmas." He tells me. His eyes are alive today but his body is still weak and limp. I smile at him and perch on the corner of his bed. "Did you get anything?" He asks me.
"A murder."
"Ah, got to make sure you're not bored."
"I've just seen a whole family get ripped apart. The sister-in-law drugged her tea so the lady died in her sleep but no one knew. Then the mother shot her daughter. So yeah, Happy Christmas."
"Sorry..."
"No, I'm sorry. I- sorry Tristan. How has your day been?"
He just smiles at me and holds my hand. I flinch and then relax.
"Brilliant!"
"Hm?"
"Yep. Wonderfully brilliant! Want to know why?"
"Indulge me."
"I am having positive results to the treatment."
My heart leaps. A grin splits across my face.
"Which means?"
"I've got longer than 5 more months to live. If I carry on this positively, it'll be more like years."
"I'm so happy I could burst or float away like a balloon!"
We laugh and chatter away. This is truly the most amazing gift I could ever receive and have ever received. The gift of life, a second chance, full of noise, laughter and potential, rather than the end of life, full of silence and mourning hearts.