Surprise Surprise

Chapter 10

~Anthony’s Point of View~

She’s awesome. Always has a smile on her lips and she’s always so happy and positive.

We laughed and told funny stories on the way to Walmart. Nathalia and Val have been on the weirdest adventures so I can tell.

“So at this store Val and I were Christmas shopping and so I was walking around and Val was looking at the wall mug. She took a mug off the wall and the rest committed suicide and fell to the ground. The store got so quiet and I felt bad for her so to break the silence I started to sing ‘I came in like a wrecking baaaaaaaaaaaaaall!’” Nathalia said remembering the moment.

“Oh god, and I’m the immature one.” I laughed.

“Oh I have another one. So Val and I were late for class once and we wanted to make a grand entrance. So we walked in and said ‘the class don’t start ‘till I walk in’. Some people laughed and some looked at us like they wanted to murder us right there. But then we realized that we walked in the wrong class room. So we just awkwardly stepped out. And then we just ran like a pair of idiots.”

“I would’ve given up anything to see that.” I chuckled.

~Val’s Point of View~

Oh no. Out of all the things that could of happened this occurs.

I felt nauseated, shocked, but mostly taken by surprise. I kept it cool, as if nothing happened, I didn’t see anything and it was just a figment of my imagination. I led Oliver away from the monster that was on the other side.

Who is that monster?

Jorge.

I cleared my throat, “So what do you want to do? I don’t know if I can find a soccer ball here.” Oliver looked around “Its fine we can just walk around this place looks pretty spacious.” I laughed. “Spacious?”

“Yeah, spacious. Why is it so wrong to use these type of words?” He asked looking shyly at the ground.

“It’s not, it’s just that you sound so, I don’t know what word to use for that… Elderly? Like an elderly lady.” I snickered.

“Oh! Well excuse my elderly butt.” He laughed.

I looked back at the field Jorge was at.

He wasn’t there.

I looked around, finally I spotted him. He was walking towards us. My heart started beating like a maniac, all my blood circulating around my body seemed to drop head. I guess I still had enough brain function to command myself to do something. Quick.

I turned to Oliver, “So umm race you back to the camp site!” I yelled turning back to the place where we came from. “Wait Val!! What…?” I didn’t hear the rest. All I could hear from that point on were my feet crushing the grass and leafs on the floor. I felt sharp pain on my lower ankle but that wasn’t going to stop me. I got to the camp site but I still didn’t feel safe. What do I do now? I looked around and saw the tree I climb in. I escalated that tree as if I was a squirrel. I climbed up about 30 feet up. I was out of breath and I felt light headed. Okay I just need to calm down, I don’t think that Jorge will find me by that maze of trees. I managed to calm myself down. And then I remembered, Oliver. Crap, he shouldn’t know what happened. I climbed down from the tree and fixed my hair. Then I heard leafs crack, then Oliver came out of the wall of trees.

I faked a smile and said, “I win.”

“Well you caught me by surprise Ms. Cocky pants. What happened to your leg?” He asked looking at my ankle. I looked down at it. It wasn’t bleeding so badly but now that I remembered about it the injury was burning. “Oh um I don’t know random thorn or something I guess.” I walked over my plastic bin to take out a bottle of water. “I’ll just put some water on it.”

I sat down by the fire and Oliver came back with some fire wood. He put it to the fire to burn. He took the water from my hands. I looked at him, confused. He smiled, “It’s okay.” He opened the water bottle and I moved my leg out to the grass so I wouldn’t get the blanket wet. “Why did you run away?” He asked as the water hit my leg. “I wasn’t running away it was just a, you know surprise race I guess” I laughed uneasily. “No, really why did you run away, we didn’t walk a quarter mile for nothing.” He took a look at my leg. I took the towel I had in the bin and dried my leg with it. “Some guy wanted to talk with you.” I felt like I was about to have an anxiety attack. My hands felt like sweating, I felt dizzy, and I started to shake. “Umm... was he half bold and had an accent?” I said remembering Jorge’s face.

“Yeah, you know him?”

“Yeah, very well” I said, my voice was breaking and my heart beat was unsteady not to mention I was shaking. Yeah, this is an anxiety attack.

“Whoa, Val are you okay?” Oliver asked pulling me into a hug.

There I stood for what seemed forever. Crying into Oliver’s shirt, talk about weak.