Chapter 1 Mandy

"Is he awake?" Josh asks starring at the body on what used to be a kitchen table.

"He zones in and out and mumbles a couple of words but otherwise not really." I reply while changing the bandages on his leg.

"Is he going to stay?" Josh asks, handing me my scissors.

"We'll do you really think we're going to let him fend for him self out on the streets. He can't even stay conscience for 20 seconds" I laugh.

My dad barges in "Well we have enough room for him to stay."

"Stop ease dropping, its impolite." I say pushing him out the door.

"Sorry I got to go any ways just wanted to know if you needed anything? Water, bandages, a hug from your dad?" My dad never had respect for privacy.

"See you at supper, dad." I say closing the door on him. He was in a strange mood today.

"We'll with him he looks like he's our age so 3 teens 7 kids and 9 adults so that's 18 now 19 with him."

The boy on the table started to move and groans.

"I still can't believe he survived the crash and not a single lighter touched him"

"What's a lighter? Where am I? What's going on? Where's my dad?"he says in a haze.

"He's awake get me that bin over there." I ask Josh. In there is the little medicine we have, (we can't gather buy the hospital because there so much, I don't know, death. So, all the medicine we have is from houses). He brings it over and I look for the pain killers. I stick a thermometer in his mouth making sure the wound hasn't been infected and brought on a fever.

"Josh you can go now."

"But, he could attack you."

"His leg is so bad that he wouldn't be able to stand. Also his fingers aren't blackened so he's fine. I had to do stitch you up I hope it worked because I've never been a doctor or had any training done like this but I think I did good. I saw a video on the internet once."

"You did WHAT?" the boy on the table screams a bit.

"Fine I'll go but be careful" Josh says and I give him a sarcastic smile. He walks away.

"What's your name?" I pick up a clipboard.

"Uh. Luke. " he says still a bit unsure as he rolls up his pants leg looking at the bandages.

"So," I say giving him a glass of water and the pain pills. "ask all you want."

"What?" He says after taking the medicine.

"Your questions? Ask them all?"

"I would like to know where I am? And why you stitched up my leg without any medical knowledge?"

"You are at a house between 7th street and Waldo. And hey, I did a good job! At least you're not bleeding out in a car. You're safer here."

"Wait, safe from what?" he asks.

"What do you mean from what?" I laugh.

"All I remember was basketball and people with black skin?"

"Wait when did you black out?"

"Thursday."

"So today?"

"What's today?"

"The 14th."

"No, I remember the 7th. I blacked out the 7th." I could tell he was happy he remember so much but I just stood in shock.

"Is every thing all right?"he asks me.

"Yeah,  just let me go in to the hallway for a second." I say a bit hysterical. When I open the door I hit my dad in the face with it.

"I told you it's not polite to ease dropping!" I throw my hands in the air.

"But he knows nothing. HA!"

" This is not a laughing matter." I have no idea how my father can be so insensitive and caring at the same time.

"We'll we don't have to tell him he can be like one of the kids" He suggests. We have told everyone 12 and under that nothing happened and that it was just a bad dream and that there houses were destroyed so there living here. It's a terrible lie but we had no idea what to say I mean seriously how are you supposed to cover up that half their love ones are dead and there are real live monster trying to kill them.

"I'll ask him if he wants to stay. Then I'll tell him. He deserves to know"

I walk back in to the room." Why did you go in to the hallway."

"No reason. Hey, do you want to stay here till your leg is better"

"I guess but hey why am I not at a real doctors who know what they're doing. "

"It might be because they're all dead. How about we have a little history lesson."