Chapter 4 Mandy

"I got something for you" Josh says" You get a piece of candy."

We're in my room. It's 6:30 and supper will start soon.

"Your such a sweetheart" I pop the hard candy in my mouth and taste the sweet taste of butterscotch. I miss the taste. 

I'm not in my room any more I'm in my old house in the kitchen. I'm 6 years old again. My mom calls out to me to get the milk. I sprint to the refrigerator and throw open the door, grab the gallon, and walk with the milk weighing me down over to my mother. She asks me to pour the milk in to the cup then she adds it in to the powder. She hands me a wooden spoon and brings the bowl down to the floor. I sit on the floor and stir. My mother and me always used to make butterscotch pudding. 

All the images fade away and I'm in a different room my new room. My mother died before I came back from school that day with Anthony ( the little boy with me in the broom closet at school). The thoughts overwhelms me and I start to cry. Josh looks at me and I think he can feel my pain.

"Hey why don't we go down stairs and start checking meals" Josh suggests.

"We can't" I wipe the tears from my eyes " It's to early"

"Then what should we do?" He asks with a bright tone in his voice.

"We always have to something. Can't we just relax till dinner"

"That no fun." He laughs " Why don't we go for a drive." He stands and slings his coat over his shoulder.

" Josh you know we can it's almost dark..." He puts his hand over my mouth to shut me up.

" We've gone in the past and were fine now aren't we?"

" I don't know about fine your pretty messed up." We both laugh " I guess we can go."

" I'll get the keys. Which car?" We've stolen a couple cars. Cars for speed, cars for carrying supplies, for carrying supplies, and cars for all terrains. We have about 12 cars in total.

" The Camaro, like theres any other option." I tell him.

" Excellent choice, Mademoiselle. " He says sarcastically with a bow and walks out the door.

I walk over to the closet and put on a coat from the girl that used to live here. There used to be a girl my age here (actually went to my school) her clothes fit but are way to girly pink, name brand, high heels, ribbon, the glitter works.

We came here on the Friday the day after 'The Turning'. We slept in our car the first night. We gathered and looked for a place to stay. Josh, my dad and I found this house. Far from the hospital and minimal damage ( It has to be far from the hospital where all the zombies are. It's like their head quarters sense the powers out, its dark, and they all roam around that area.) We walked inside and found her room and her. She was pretty black hair, still green eyes, arms and legs now black. We knew what we had to do. We carried her out back and shot her. We then dug a hole dropped her in, said a few words, then covered her up. I still sometimes feel bad for wearing her clothes. Then I get over it.

I start to head out side on to the balcony.

"Hello Mandy. We're are you heading?" Drake, one of the people living with us asks me. He's one of the guards. He puts down the ladders for us and shoots lighters that come past.

" Just for a drive with Josh?"

" Well, it's getting dark did you ask your father?"

" Yeah" I didn't even think to ask my father but to late now" of course I did."

" Well, be careful and be home for dinner." I nod as Josh pulls up with the car. Drake puts down the ladder. I walk over to Josh. He opens the door for me. He knows I hate that. I can tell by the stupid smile on his face. I hate the feeling of being helpless. I'm strong. If the turning hadn't happened I would have gone in to the military. Like my dad.

" Thanks." I say anyway. I step in to the car. Josh walks around and gets in to the other side of the car.

" Where do you want to go."

" I don't know just drive." I say trying not to sound tired.

"Ok" there's a pause of silence. " I never thought at the age of 15 I would be driving a sports car in an intersection running a stop light going 55 miles per hour. Then again I didn't think it would be the apocalypse." He laughs " But you never know what happens till it does."

Then we drive straight forward in to the mid afternoon sun.