Andrew: Chapter 7: Why Chicago?

Chicago?” I asked. I thought this person would be a little closer than that.

Rona nodded. Izabelle scowled at me again.

“Andrew, I don't want to go to Chicago. I want to go back home,” Izabelle griped.

I ignored her. “So how are we going to get there? Neither of us can drive, and that's too far of a distance to get in a taxi or bus.”

Rona got a look on her face that I couldn't recognize. Maybe it was mischievous, or possibly courageous.

“Don't worry. I'll get you there. But first, we need to stop by to pick up the Summers. Sam drove both of them here this morning,” Rona explained.

“Andrew! C'mon, I'm cold!” Izabelle complained.

At first, I thought she was just trying to get out of the quest, but when I looked at her, I saw that she was hugging her body. She only had a thin Aragle jacket that wasn't even designed to keep you warm. Those jackets were for in the summer, to keep you cooled off.

“Izabelle, don't you have a winter coat?” I asked her.

She rolled her eyes at me as if the answer were obvious. “No! Why do you think I'm cold? I'm not stupid!”

I really wanted the nice Izabelle back. This one was getting on my very last nerve.

“Of course. I must be blind,” I said sarcastically.

Okay, I know it probably wasn't the best comeback, but I didn't exactly try to be sarcastic.

“So, are we getting back in the car?” she asked, disregarding my previous comment.

I nodded. “Fine.”

Rona stopped me from getting back in the car. She whispered, “I have a solution.”

I let Izabelle get in the car before me. “What do you mean? I thought your friend in Chicago was going to help her.”

“Well, yes, but she'll never listen to you in the state she's in.”

I mumbled, “Thanks...”

“It's only a temporary fix, but you'll get regular Izabelle back for a while.”

That sounded pretty good to me. I said, “Okay. So what is it?” At this point, I was going to do anything to get Izabelle back.

“How Izabelle helped you so long ago. It should work.”

Well that certainly cleared things up. Izabelle had saved me from so many things in so many ways, that I had no idea which way Rona was talking about.

“And that would be...”

She looked puzzled for a little bit. Then she answered, “Well, she hugged you, but I suggested she kiss you. I'm not sure what exactly worked.”

Oh. That way. She would kill me if I even tried to kiss her now.

“Are you sure this is the best way?” I asked. I wasn't willing to take the risk of being hurt in any way by Izabelle again.

“It seems like our best choice right now. Unless you want try and drag her all the way to Chicago. She is not going to want to come.”

I'll just have to hope she won't kill me in a horrible way.

“Why are you so nervous? I thought you wanted to kiss her,” Rona added.

I tried to answer the best I could. “The thing is, she doesn't want me to. I'm sure she will not be happy if this actually works.”