Chapter 8: Game On! Part 1

The Gym was packed with students, not nearly full but holding more then  during Power Placement. In the center of the Gym was a sort of arena made to look like a common street with plastic safety dividers were all around the arena.

"Well look who volunteered to go first!" Boomed a voice.

The source of the voice was none other than Coach Boomer seated on a high chair similar to a Life Guard's. The Coach went on to answer the question written on the group's faces.

"We were just about to have ourselves a game of 'Save the Citizen', three heroes against three villains. Care to play?"

"Heck yeah! Count me in", shouted Max up at Coach Boomer.

The rest of the group shot Max a surprised look before Emerson chimed in, "I'm in too, Coach", then to the group added with a smile," I need to work off some of my testosterone".

"Boys will be boys, I guess", declared Lily.

"Actually, Lily", started Max," You're joining too".

"Come on, Max, you know I don't care about sports".

"Maybe. But I also know you want to make Coach Bonehead eat his words and regret what he said about your powers".

Lily paused, briefly assessing what her twin brother had said then grew a crooked smile. "Alright, I'm in"

"Cool", replied Max who then turned to Eleanor.

"Don't even ask, Max", said Eleanor, "I've had enough excitement for one day but I'll make sure to cheer you guys on".

"Aw, my own cheerleader?" Max smoothly replied, "Have you been reading my diary?"

Eleanor immediately blushed but Maxwell didn't see it as he turned back to Coach Boomer.

"Hey, Coach, we have our third hero", yelled Max as he gestured to his sister.

Coach Boomer hardly looked up from his clipboard.

"Now we need three villains! Any takers?"

The blonde girl from the first Power Placement of the day, Fiona Alberts, stood up and walked down from the bleachers. "I'd like to request Monica Seller to join me if that's alright, Coach?"

A dark skinned girl with braids looked up at hearing her name.
"Me? Um sure, why not", she answered.

"In that case I'll take the last spot if that's okay", spoke Jared to the surprise of his friends.

"Sure", said Fiona without hesitation, "A sidekick on each team, that way when we win it'll be fair".

"Confidence", chimed Emerson with a smirk, "I like that in a girl".

"Whoa there, Lovebirds", shouted Coach Boomer,"Save the trash talk for the game. Hit the locker rooms, Boys and Girls, strap on some safety gear and meet back at the arena".

Without a word all six students strolled over to the doorway on the gym's far wall. The hallway went right and left for boys and girls. Jared, Max, and Emerson went to the right while Lily, Fiona and Monica veered left. They all quickly began finding and clipping on pad after pad of protection.

"So, Jared?" Started Max as he worked to lace up his shin guards, "Any reason why you decided to joined Team Villain all of a sudden?"

Without looking up he answered, "I just want to prove that I can hang with the big dogs, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah I get you, Man", interrupted Emerson, "As long you know I've got a lazer blast with your name on it", he finished with a chuckle.

Jared returned the laugh with a smile and throw him a high five and added, "It's fine by me, just don't aim for my face!"

At the opposite of the hallway were the girls doing virtually the same motions, trying there best to get dressed without making eye contact.

"Hey, Fiona right?" Asked Monica, "What exactly do you want me to do?"

Fiona lukewarm smiled at Monica. "We shouldn't discuss battle plans here", she answered with a look to Lily. The rest of there time was spent in silence then they came out of the locker room to meet the boys in the hallways.

Most of them exchanged sportsmanlike "good lucks" when they passed each other except Lily and Jared.

"Who do you suppose'll win?" Asked Jared.

"Who do you think?" Replied Lily with a smirk, "Heroes always save the day".

"Is super arrogance your other power?" Jabbed Jared good-naturedly.

"Maybe. How about a friendly bet? Loser buys the other dinner?"

"Hmm I may not be as confident about this but I am a bit of a Gambler. You are on!"
After a deal sealing handshake they separated joining their respective teams.

"Alright, Heroes and Villains, here is the aim of the game for all you Freshies living under a rock. Heroes, its your job to get past the villains and rescue your citizen before the timer runs out", Boomer gestured to a mannequin tied to a rope above a hole with spinning metal teeth and a large timer, showing 3 minutes, that was attached to the wall. "Villains, it is your job to keep the Heroes occupied until the timer runs out releasing the 'Citizen' into the shredder!"