Bathroom Break

Chapter 7

Lights.

Noise.

Scent.

Touch.

Her.

...

She wasn’t fully conscious yet, but Ruby knewit was her. She could just tell.

First came an unfocused blob of pink and tan.

Second was that voice. That alluring, husky voice.

Third was her smell, whisky and Old Spice body wash mixing to form an intoxicating aroma.

Lastly, Ruby became aware of her touch.

She opened her eyes gradually, immediately staring straight into those dark, brown pools that were Rogue’s irises. Her surroundings quickly became clear to her; she was being cradled by a kneeling Rogue, in the middle of the public toilets. Ruby’s eyes fluttered shut again, before her hand came up to sooth the pain in the back of her head. Suddenly, her eyes snapped open, before she pushed Rogue away and stood up, using the closest wall to steady herself. She turned to Rogue accusingly, trying with difficulty to focus on the woman in front of her. Rogue sighed before standing up, reluctantly facing Ruby’s coming wrath.

“What the fuck is going on?” Ruby demanded.

Rogue rolled her eyes at the blonde. “What’s going on? That’s your question? I’ll tell you what’s going on, princess; I just saved your fucking life. Less of the attitude. Now, lose the glare and help me with this stab wound, would ya?”

Ruby gasped in shock when she realised Rogue was clutching her side, blood staining her hand.

“H-how did that happen?”

Rogue laughed lightly, which quickly turned into a cough. “Vampire got me. With my own fucking dagger of all things.”

Ruby shook her head in disbelief. “But..how?”

“I didn’t come here to apologise, Ruby. Got nothing to apologise for. I came here to save your life.” Rogue laughed to herself again. “Saving your life is all I’ve been doing all fucking week.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“Listen, I warned you. I told you they’d come after you. All I’ve been doing all week is stopping demons from breaking into your house and killing you in your sleep.”

Ruby physically recoiled at that.

Rogue continued. “I warned you. I told you, once you see them, they’ll get you. They like being Earth’s fucked up little secret. They like hunting in the shadows. If you’ve seen one of ‘em, the rest of ‘em’ll fucking come for you. I’ve spent the last week making sure they don’t succeed. Wanna thank me? Do it later. Right now I need you to help me with this wound.”

“R-right. Erm, what do you want me to do?”

“Just get me some paper towels.”

Ruby quickly rushed into the cubicle before coming back with a fistful of paper towels. She jogged back over to Rogue, and moved to place them over the stab wound.

“It’s alright, I can manage from here.”

Ruby ignored her. “Let me.”

Rogue sighed and let Ruby place the towels against her side.

Ruby’s eyes locked with Rogue’s briefly, before she quickly averted them from her gaze.

“So...how did this happen?” She asked, motioning towards the wound.