September 04th

Rick Pryce opened his eyes with speed, the light peering in through his curtain that covered the window at the end of his bed assaulting his eyes. He turned over in his bed, facing his bedside table. Atop it sat an alarm clock.

"6AM," he read aloud, a smile cracking into his face. "On time for once."

The sixteen year old rolled back onto his back, facing his window, his eyes now used to the morning light. He stretched his arms and legs, his joints releasing loud pops. He threw his sheets off him, stood up off his bed, and got dressed.

Before long, it was time to leave. Today was a fresh start - he was going to college. Not a single person from his Primary or Secondary school was coming with him, besides his best friend since reception class. It was pretty much a fresh start. 'Fresh faces, new personalities to discover, great friends to make' Rick thought to himself as he hopped off the bus and walked through the school's gate.

"Hey," he heard a male voice shout from beside him - half a second later, and there was an arm wrapped around his shoulder. "You weren't planning to go into school without me, were you?"

"No, of course not!" Rick gasped back to James (his best friend since reception class that was mentioned earlier). "Why would I ever ditch someone as cool as you?"

"Damn right, you wouldn't." James retorted. "Duuude..."

"What?"

"Girls." James pointed at a gang of giggling teenagers stood by the entrance doors to the college. "Now's our chance."

"Go for it." Rick muttered.

James swaggered over to the gathering of the opposite sex, confidence oozing through every stride. He lost his momentum about halfway there, and by the time he reached the congregation of pretty girls, all he could utter was a "hi", a smirk, and a small wave. They stared at him for several seconds.

"I have a boyfriend," Rick heard one girl say. "Yeah, me too." another muttered.

"Oh, well, that's cool." James scoffed back. "What about you? You're... like... thick. I bet all your friend's boyfriends are dogs. They go for bones, right? Like every other guy in this college? So like, I have a chance?" he said to another girl.

"Idiot," Rick said under his breath, as he watched James get a slap across the face that sent him staggering backwards as the girls went inside the school. He walked over to him at the top of the steps. "Don't do that."

"Do what?" James asked.

"Say dumb shit like that."

"Fine."

Rick held out a hand for James, and James grabbed it. "Let's go to class" they both said simultaneously.