December 22nd

The floor was covered with soft snow, and snowflakes rained down from above. The air was ice cold, and Rick had to wear gloves to keep it from biting his fingers. The tree branches above had been stripped of their leaves months before, and without the snow the world looked bleak and depressing. Rick, Ravi and Anna walked through the snowfall, away from school, wrapped in coats and scarves and gloves and boots; and still, they were freezing. The three of them smoked cigarettes as they trudged along, before they stopped at a park bench that overlooked a frozen pond, and they sat down - Anna in the middle; Ravi sat on the right end, closest to the path; and Rick on the left end. 

"Merry Christmas, guys" Anna said cheerfully, her teeth chattering. Her arm was wrapped around Rick's, and she huddled to him for warmth. Ravi and Rick had both replied with 'Merry Christmas' in turn. "What are you doing for the break?"

"Christmas stuff," Ravi said, lowering the cigarette from his lips. "What do you think?"

Don't be a dick, Rick thought to himself. "Nothing much, really. Christmas dinner with my fa-"

"Can I come?" Anna cut him off. Her cheeks went redder, and not from the cold. "I mean... I'm sorry. Just... I thought... My dad doesn't really do that. My... family doesn't. And... I just thought... since... maybe it'd be nice if I could meet your parents. At a Christmas Dinner."

"We'll do it." Rick told her, looking into her eyes. They were as blue as the iced over lake; pale and sparkling. A snowflake fell onto her nose. "My mum has been asking to meet you. I don't even think she thinks you exist, honestly. She'll love you."

Anna smiled at him. Her plump, cupid bow lips were red with lipstick. "What about your dad?"

"Hopefully he likes you more than yours likes me."

Anna laughed. "He likes you, really. It's just an act."

"Really?" Rick said, shocked.

"No," Anna said. "I just said that to make you feel better."

"Oh." Rick was disappointed.

"Not really, you fucking idiot." Anna snuggled into him, resting her head back on his shoulder. She rested her head on his shoulder. "He likes you. A lot."

"Oh." Rick was happy.

Ravi took a puff of his cigarette. "You know I'm still here, right?" he said. "I want to talk about something that involves me, too."

A panting boy ran up behind them and interrupted them. "You... went off... without me." he said, hands on his knees. He stood back up straight. "Any room... for me...on that bench?" He brushed his thick and wavy dark brown hair back into place, uncovering a pair of brown eyes and a completely beardless square head.

"Ravi?" Anna suggested.

The Indian sighed. "No."

"Ravi." Anna said, sternly.

"I said no. You move, if you want him to sit down here." He threw his cigarette onto the ground. "He can sit on the floor if he needs to sit down. We were here first."

Rick turned to face James. "Sorry," he said. "Sit on my knee if you want."

"He'd love that." Ravi piped up.

James marched beside to Ravi. "What the fuck is your problem with me?" Anger ran slick through his words. "Is it because I don't smoke? I don't do what you do? I'm not cool enough? You think I'm a threat to your friendship with Rick? Tell me, because I just don't get it."

Ravi grated his teeth. His jew clenched. He sighed. It unclenched.

"Hey, I asked you something" James grabbed his shoulder.