September 11th

Rick was walking along the path to school - about a minute away from it - when James ran up from behind him, bouncing to his side. "Hey!" he exclaimed.

"Hi." Rick smiled at him. "Why are you so happy?"

"Because I know my best friend had a date with a hot girl and I'm really happy for him?"

"Oh. Yeah. Yes!"

"Is that what you made her scream later on?"

"What? No. Why does everyone keep asking shit like that?"

"I'm joking." James turned away, basking in the awkwardness of the moment for a split second. "Well, how did it go?"

"Well," Rick began. "Okay. We had coffee and then went to watch a movie."

"Oh, I know all about the coffee thing. You really freaked out that waitress."

"How do you know?" Rick raised an eyebrow at him.

"My mum owns the cafe."

"Oh yeah. I forgot. Oops."

"And the movie?" James smiled.

"Sex scene halfway through, too awkward. Left to go get drinks. Came back, she called me a pussy. Movie was shit. That's all."

James laughed.

"So..." they both sighed simultaneously, stood at the gates of the school.

"How come you didn't tell me about your date when it happened? You only texted me. You could have let everything out in person."

"I don't know. I went out with Ravi yesterday. He offered. I would have went out with you, but..."

"But what? Is he your new best friend now? The degenerate piece of shit who works for a fucking biker gang?"

"What? No. He just... Offered. Anna's dad is in that gang too, and you're begging to know what happened with me and her?"

"Yeah, well she's hot. It's excusable. Plus she's not going with them and shooting people or some shit."

"You're a piece of shit." Rick muttered.

"You're the one replacing friends to be cool." James chimed.

Rick pushed him over. "Fuck off, James. Stop acting like a cunt."

People were looking at them. James looked up at Rick, a mix of betrayal and anger rippling across his face. Suddenly, it disappeared. "Sorry..." 

Rick helped him up. "Me too. Just... stop, okay? I'm not replacing you."

"Can we leave now? Too many eyeballs." James mumbled. Rick nodded, and they walked into school.

"Mr. Fleetwood's lesson now, right?"

"Yeah."

"Fuuuuuuck" James shouted as they walked through the hallway.