Chapter Eight - Tricks & Illusions

After a successful and fun day at the beach, Padmé called it first to shower, and Anakin was left to wait downstairs for her to finish so he could take his turn.

While he waited, he stared at his reflection in the mirror, running a hand through his hair still damp from saltwater. He was grateful for the beach trip; he had a blast and he got to spend time with Padmé, who, despite the promises she had originally made to herself, seemed to have almost dropped her 'professional' role.... at least for now.

Anakin was pretty sure she at least liked him a lot more now, which was the goal.

And on second thought, maybe sand wasn't so bad after all.

Just as Anakin began to shake his hair out, attempting to rid all of the grains of sand Padmé had poured on his head, he heard Padmé say, "Anakin!"

He snapped his head up, looking at her. "Yeah?"

"Please don't shake the sand all over the floor."

"I'm sorry. I just didn't want to clog the drains with it, you know."

"Yeah. That's okay, thank you for being considerate. Don't worry about it, though, I'm sure it'll go down the drain fine," she replied, combing through her wet curls. "Lucy!" she called -- the maid's name, who's name in face was not 'Betty'. "Could you come clean this up?"

"No, Padmé, it's fine. I'll get it."

She shook her head, Anakin still trying to protest, but Lucy had already come down, curtsying and saying, "Anything, miss. What is it you want me to tidy?" she asked.

Before Padmé could say anything, Anakin interrupted, "Nothing, Lucy. I've got it."

"Oh," she said, with a small smile, curtsying again quickly before she made her way back up the stairs again.

"Does she have to do that?" Anakin asked, looking back at Padmé.

"Do what?"

"Curtsy. I mean, no offense, but you're not royalty."

"Oh." Padmé smiled a little. "No. She's just always been that way. Very polite."

Anakin nodded. "So.... do you really not have a family? I mean, not to enter a touchy subject or anything," he added quickly.

Padmé looked at him, wearing a near-sad expression. She sighed, rubbing her arms uncomfortably.
"I've never known. I don't even remember my life before.... oh, probably age.... well, let's just say, not before a couple of years ago. Basically one day, I was just.... here." She smiled nervously. "Sorry, I know it sounds weird...."

"No, I understand," Anakin said, nodding. And he truly did, too.

"So, Anakin, I just wanted to say...." she sighed, stepping closer, playing with a very familiar ring to Anakin that was being worn on the wrong finger. "I'm so sorry for treating you like that.... rudely I guess I should say, for the past couple of days. I realize that it was wrong --"

"No, I understand. You don't have to explain it. I forgive you."

"Thanks," she said quietly, giving him a small smile.

"Did you know that ring"-- he pointed down at the diamond on her finger -- "is from me?"

"Don't be silly, Anakin. I've always had this."

A smile slowly crept across his face.

"What?" she asked slowly, smiling too.

He placed his hand behind her neck. "Nothin,'" he answered softly.

She looked up at him like she hadn't in so long, and she let him keep his hand there on her neck like that.

"Anakin...," she whispered with a small smile.

"Shh," he told her. His smirk slowly started to fade, but before either of them could say or do anything else, Anakin parted his lips and soon they were mouth to mouth, having the best kiss(es) Padmé had ever remembered having in her life.

But the good stuff didn't last long, turning into bad when Padmé started having flashback-like images go through her head, ones including the same ring Anakin had told her he had given her, featuring someone who was definitely Anakin, just younger. She had bad flashbacks, worse flashbacks, where Anakin was hurting her. They seemed so real.

The kiss seemed so real, too, until she realized Anakin was shaking her hard. "Padmé, come on," he was saying.

"What?" she said dismissively, holding her head. "Wait. Did you just --"

"Did I do.... what? I literally haven't done anything since you apologized to me except trying to shake you from your trance."

The kiss hadn't happened. None of it had.