Chapter 5 - ''Crack a smile, I just can't lose.''

"Wait up, don't go." The brown haired boy said and turned me around so that he could see my face.

I looked up at his eyes - they were a beautiful brown colour - but then I quickly looked down and shuffled my feet awkwardly, a blush creeping it's way onto my cheeks.

"I've seen you around and I think we should hang out. Not a lot of teens come camping here and I think it would be good if we got to know each other." The boy explained.

I guess he expected a reply, but I couldn't say anything. For once in my life something good was happening and I couldn't get myself to speak up.

I nodded instead, not sure if he even saw me doing the gesture.

"Okay, well lets start off properly. I'm Alex, and your name is?" He asked, turning his head, trying to look me in the eyes. I kept looking down and tried to speak. After an awkward few minutes of me just standing there and umming under my breath. I managed to whisper "Maddy".

It was the first time I had ever spoken to someone who wasn't in my family. I was a bit proud of myself but I was embarrassed because I had to make the boy, now identified as Alex, wait like 5 minutes, just to hear my name.

While I was drowning in my thoughts, he took my chin and propped it up so that he could see my face. "Nice to meet you Maddy, now let's sit down and get to know each other more." Alex said and gestured towards the small pier.

We walked onto the pier and sat crossed legged opposite each other. I looked down at my shoes and started fiddling with my laces. I don't know why but I just couldn't look at his perfect face; his beautiful eyes and his rosy pink lips.

I guess Alex noticed my t-shirt and asked, "You like All Time Low? Do you listen to any other bands?"

I smiled and gave him my iPod so that he could scroll through my music playlist, which consisted mostly of All Time Low, Pierce The Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, Bring Me The Horizon, Of Mice & Men and You Me At Six.

"You have a good music taste Maddy" he said with a smile and winked. I couldn't believe that he liked the same music as me; just knowing that made me like him even more. I smiled and blushed slightly at Alex's nice comment towards me. We sat in silence for a while, just looking into the distance, past the lake and into the forest.

I was surprised that I enjoyed his company just as much as I enjoyed being alone. I knew from then on that we would become good friends or maybe even more...My mind trailed off and I realised we were still just sitting in silence, but not an awkward silence, a peaceful, comforting silence.

Alex put his hand on my knee and said in a comforting tone, "You know Maddy you don't have to be shy around me?" He looked at me and continued speaking, "I don't bite, I promise; but if you get anywhere between me and a stack of pancakes, then I can't promise anything." He laughed slightly and looked at me with his glistening brown eyes.

I nodded and laughed softly at what he had said. I finally felt comfortable enough with someone to start speaking to them.

"Alex?" I whispered

"Yeah" he answered quickly and I guess he was hoping that I would finally say something.

"I have to ask you something..."