Chapter Five

Nick 's POV

The nurses told me I had to wait in the waiting area until I was allowed to go see him.

A few minutes after we got there, Chris's parents came rushing in.

"Mr and Mrs Hampton! They said it would be a few minutes before we could see him, they're examining him for any broken ribs." I said uneasy. I hated to see Chris and his parents like this.

"Thank you Nick, we really appreciate it." Mrs. Hampton replied

"No problem. Happy to help."

A few minutes if sitting in the waiting room, a nurse came out with a clipboard. "Chris's family." she said.

"You can come too Nick." Mr. Hampton said.

"Thanks." I said as we all made our way to his room. When we entered, he was on the bed hooked up to all these wires.

I hated hospitals. I don't know why though. I looked over to Chris's parents. They both looked in chock probably wondering who could do this to another human being. I wanted answers and I wanted them now.

Chris's POV

Once we arrived to the hospital, they took me into an observing room and left Nick in the waiting room. I couldn't imagine what he was going through. He just got his best friend back only to have him get hurt.

I just don't understand why they did that to me. Was it maybe that they found out that I was gay? It could be a possibility.

I heard my parents talking, coming closer to the door of my room. I pretended to be asleep, not really feeling like talking to them.

"Hey sweetie, his are you doing?" I heard my mom ask.

I didn't reply. A part of me wanted them to go but a small part wanted them to stay, make me feel safe.

"He's sleeping, I think we should come back soon." Said my dad.

"You guys can go, I think I'm going to stay here just in case he wakes up." Nick said. I can't believe he wanted to stay with me.

"Ok. Have fun, we'll be back soon." My mother said as she and my dad walked out of the room. I still pretended to be asleep. I. don't know why though.

"Hey." Nick said with a little laugh. "You really scared me back at school, I thought you were really hurt. Like badly." He said suddenly turning serious.

He pulled a chair up to the side of my bed and sat down. A few moments later, I felt something touch my hand. Nick was holding my hand. But why?

I slowly opened eyes just to see what he was doing. He had his head down just above our hands. He looked sad, very sad. I guess me being hurt really effected him more than I thought it did.

"Hey." I slowly crooked out.

"Hey, shhh." Nick said quietly as he pressed a finger to his mouth. "How are you feeling?"

"Alright, my side and stomach hurts a little." I replied.

"The doctors should give you some pain meds before you leave."

"Thanks for staying with me, I thought you would have been home by now."

"What, and just leave you here. No way."

"But why, why stay?" I asked. I don't know why I asked, I guess I just wanted to know why he would stay.

"Because I care about you Chris, I really do." I care about you played in my mind over and over. What did this mean, did he have feelings for me? A million other questions flooded my mind, not knowing what to say or do.

Before I could do anything else, I felt a pair of warm soft lips against mine. I was shocked at the fact that Nick was really kissing me.