Chapter 21

I remember a few years ago, a tribute from District 6 named Titus had resorted to cannibalism. He was killed in an avalanche, implied by the Capitol to be on purpose to ensure the Victor wasn't a psycho.

As I stare into Sparkle's eyes, I hope the Gamemakers cause an avalanche right on top of us.

She leans in closer to me, and I close my eyes. Suddenly the weight of her is gone, and I force my eyes open.

I think that Harry has come to save me, but when I look at Sparkle I don't see his tall, muscular body fending her off. I see a tiny body with a blonde braid that spirals down her back, touching the tip of her shirt which has duck-tailed out of her pants.

"Prim!" I scream, and scramble frantically to my feet. Sparkle pins Prim, and I wrap my arms around her face to try to protect my Primrose from Sparkle's madly chomping teeth. I can feel her biting into my arm, her arm madly thrashing at Prim in an attempt to cut her.

"KATE DUCK!"

I turn my head and see Gale, aiming an arrow at Sparkle. I release her from my grip, and Gale sends the arrow straight into the back of Sparkle's brains. She sputters for a moment, and then falls over on Prim.

Harry and Niall break through the trees, wide eyed. I don't know how far away from us they were, but I'm relieved to see them. With everyone here, Sheena won't attack. We're safe.

I remember Prim is underneath Sparkle's body, and I push the madwoman off of her as fast as I can. My shoulder hurts, my everything aches, but I need to get Prim. I need to hug her, thank her for saving me.

"PRIM!" I scream as I see her. She has a gash in her neck from the skinning knife. She must have been cut when I was trying to hold Sparkle back. Prim looks at me, gasping for air as her blood pours out of her. I frantically place my hand on her cut, trying to hold it in.

"Prim, Prim no! Prim please don't die, please stay with me. Prim!" The words come spilling out of me between chokes and sobs. I'm not just crying, my eyes feel like they're going to fall out from the rush of tears that won't seem to stop.

"Ka-Kat," Prim starts to say, but is interrupted by blood erupting from her mouth. I don't notice Gale and the other's are there until Gale's hand reaches to touch Prim's face. She looks at him, but she's glossy eyed. I notice a cut across her eyeball, and I realize she can't see well. She's going to die without seeing a friendly face.

Prim stares at me, squinting like a deer caught in a bright light. She smiles weakly, and reaches her hand up to mine.

"Katniss... I never thought I'd see you again," she says quietly, her voice raspy. My throat closes up. She can't see that I'm not Katniss. She thinks I'm her sister.

"Katniss, I've missed you so much. Peeta misses you too. We both love you so much Katniss, why won't you come home?" her voice cracks as she talks, and tears start to stream down her face. I can't think of anything to say to her, there's so much to say."

Prim moves her hand down from mine and fumbles weakly with her shirt. She holds her hand up again, and in it is her mockingjay pin. She attempts to put the pin on my jacket, and I use my other hand to help her. Finally it's on, and she looks into my eyes again. She's gone pale, and her lips are turning blue.

"To protect you..." She says, her voice fading.

"I love you Prim," I say, choking on sobs. I wipe away my tears as they roll down my chin.

"Katniss, can you sing for me? I'm so tired..." She says, and I start to sob louder. I try to remember the song that Katniss sang to Rue in the 74th games, and it comes to me,

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your eyes

And when you awake, the sun will rise.

Prim died sometime while I was singing. I hold her body close to me, wailing. Everything in my chest escapes, and my heart explodes. She's gone, and I couldn't protect her.

(A/N: I am so sorry. If it makes you guys feel any better I literally cried the whole time I wrote this and I hate me too.)