Four Days - Glass Sword Fanfiction Pt I

So, if you guys didn't know, I also have a Tumblr account @queenmareena, and recently, I joined a Secret Santa exchange. We weren't to spend any money, and it must be related to Red Queen, or anything they liked really.

I had this idea knocking around in my head for a while, and since my Secret Santa also really seems to like ACOTAR, I've been working on a collection of both RQ oneshots and an ACOWAR fanfiction, as well as the occasional canon. *Cue cheers*

This fanfic takes place during the four days (if I remember correctly) when Mare was unconscious for due to the sounder device.

So to my lovely secret Santa, I hope you enjoy!

Four Days - Glass Sword Fanfiction

Kilorn Warren
Harbour Bay, Norta

"I've always found crab to be much tastier than whatever fish you might get boy" Nix scoffed. "Especially with fresh greens, if you can afford them."

My hackles rose in defense of my job, the only thing I appeared to be good for. Catching fish is much different from catching people, a voice reminded me. Not really, said another. All you need is the proper bait. Honestly, Mare probably thought I was useless when it came to this hunt for newbloods. My only wish was that I could show her that I wasn't a liability. She treated me as if I were child, like I would only get in the way, even though it was clear that her intention was to keep me safe.

But what about her? Who gets to protect her?

I certainly couldn't. Not anymore.

The thought made me slump back into the seat behind me. I didn't have any ability to offer, just the halfway decent training I had received from the guard, and my knowledge of the sea. But her little prince did, I thought bitterly. And it was all his and his damn brother's fault we were in this forsaken mess. But in a way, I supposed I was glad that he was here.

There was no way I would be able to protect her with just a pistol. Besides, he seemed smart enough to not get himself killed, and I knew he cared about her enough to want the same for Mare.

And where does that put you?

Absolutely nowhere, I thought miserably.

I no longer had the heart to respond to Nix's objection, so we let the sentence hang there, its response unspoken.

His face softened a bit at my apparent misery, and he softly said, "Did I upset you?"

I shook my head. "No. Wasn't you."

He followed my glare at the pilot's seat, and understanding crossed his features.

"Bah, I don't like the little princeling either." He patted my shoulder, though it felt more like a solid punch.  "The lightning girl said not to lay a finger on him, but between you and me, he takes one step out of line, we'll deal with him, eh?" Nix offered, and I shrugged. "I'll look forward to it."

Nix grinned. "You know, out of all these mongrels, I think I like you best." The compliment warmed my heart a bit, but it still didn't change the fact that I was useless. I couldn't believe she just expected me to wait here like some kind of mother while she went out into hostile territory on a possibly deadly mission.

My only role in this whole thing was playing babysitter to Nix, and I hated it.

Panicked shouts from outside drew my attention away, and I heard Farley screaming at us to open the door.

The shouts and pounding outside the jet immediately snapped me into action, and I fumbled around the instrument panel for the lever to open the door. Nix, thankfully seemed to get the hint, and peered out the cockpit glass to get a look outside.