DA:I: Cullen x My Inquisitor

Title: I Don't Dance

Pairing: Cullen Rutherford x Ayla Trevelyan

Rating: PG-13

Notes: This is a songfic btw. Astra is my canon Grey Warden btw

Warning: Fluff. A lot of it.

Song: I Don't Dance by Lee Brice

-----

I'll never settle down,
That's what I always thought

Cullen walks out into the balcony where Ayla stands, leaning against the railing, her long, dark brown curls reaching her mid-back.

He stops beside her and looks down at her. Her eyes are closed, keeping him from seeing her light blue eyes that he loves. She looks tired, no, exhausted after the battle with Florianne.

Yeah, I was that kind of man,
Just ask anyone

"There you are," he says, causing her to open her eyes and turn her head towards him, a smile finding its way on her lips.

"Everyone's been looking for you," he continues, still staying at her even when she looked away, "things have calmed down for now," he pauses, "Are you alright?"

She looks at him, "I'm just worn out," she replies softly, turning back to gaze at the horizon, "Tonight has been...very long,"

Love's never come my way,
I've never been this far

He gives her a sympathetic smile, knowing what it is like to have a long and tiring night, "for all of us," he replies, "I'm glad it's over,"

He reaches up and places a hand on her back. She responds by placing hers on her shoulder, "I know it's foolish, but I was worried for you tonight,"

He keeps his hand in her back before casting a glance back at the party inside, "I may never have a chance like this, so..."

Ayla glances back at him, confusion in her eyes as he walks behind her, bowing and extending his hand towards her.

"May I have this dance, my lady?"

You took these two left feet,
And waltzed away with my heart

Ayla smiles at this. She never expected this; she never expected to meet the love of her life when she abandoned her family to live her own life.

"Of course," she replies, placing her smaller hand in his, "I thought you didn't dance?" She questions as he pulls her towards him, placing his free hand in her waist while her's goes to his shoulder.

He smiles, looking down at her with love and adoration in his brown eyes, "for you, I'll try," he replies with a slight chuckle as they begin to slow dance on the balcony.

I don't dance, But here I am
Spinning you round and round in circles

Guess you got me in the palm of your hand
Cause, I don't dance

Ayla smiles at this. It is just the two of them, alone, dancing on the balcony when they were expected at the party inside.

She prayed to the Maker that no one would interrupt this or they would have both hers and Cullen's fury to deal with.

It ain't my style, but I don't care,
I'd do anything with you anywhere

He stares at her, in awe that someone as beautiful as her would ever love someone like him.

He is lucky but he is also terrified; she walks into battles with crazed red Templars and numerous demons and he worries that he will never get to hold her or look into her beautiful light blue eyes again.

Guess you got me in the palm of your hand
Cause I don't dance

Cullen decides on doing something he had never done before. He raises his arm and spins Ayla around, her hand still interlaced with his.

She smiles widely at him, her eyes shining up at him and he returns the smile. He pulls her back to him.

I don't dance, but here I am
Spinning you round and round in circles

She then rests her head on his chest while they continue to slow dance. He smiles down at her before bending down and kissing the top of her head.

The noise of the party fills both of their ears but they don't stop. Cheers, laughter, and music couldn't destroy this moment between them. Nothing would, not even a direct attack from Corypheus.

Well, maybe that last one.

It ain't my style, but I don't care
I'd do anything with you anywhere

Little did the couple know, they were caught. Leliana, Josephine, and Cassandra were all standing in the doorway leading to the balcony.

Leliana was going to give a report of any casualties from the attack. Cassandra was going to inform Ayla that she was leaving and going back to Skyhold while Josephine was going to drag Ayla back into the party.

But they all watch the two dance, glad that they could have a moment alone after an event like tonight.

Leliana smiled before walking off, deciding to give the two their privacy, remembering seeing Alistair and Astra, who is know queen, dancing on their wedding night.

Cassandra pretended not to care, but she was smiling on the inside, finding the two absolutely adorable together.She only smiled once she was out of Halamshiral.

Josephine was smiling the whole night and told anyone who asked of either Cullen's or Ayla's lineage for a marriage proposal that neither one of the two were available for marriage.

Cullen smiles as he pulls Ayla closer to him. He forbade himself from thinking of possible outcomes of this war that would lead to either her's or his demise.

Instead, he thought of their future where they live through this.

Yah, you got me in the palm of your hand, girl
Cause, I don't dance