Chapter Two: Tree

"Isn't it a glorious site, Walker?" Jasper stood with her hands on her hips, admiring the carnage below.

A scrimmage had broken out between humans and Jasper's loyal followers.  The air reeked of blood, burnt flesh, and urine. The air was tinted with the smell of death. Blood ran in rivers along the ground. It rained down on the battling bodies along with dirt and smoke.  The sound of screams, clashing steel, and gunfire were muffled by the distance between them.

Walker turned away, holding herself tightly.

"Why am I here?" Walker asked. "What do you need me for?"

"Nothing, it's just fun to watch those humans foolishly fight to their death." Jasper rested a hand on Walker's shoulder, chuckling.

Walker felt a chill course through her. She didn't like this. This was a bad sign.

"And what's a massacre without a little company?"

Of course, Walker thought bitterly.

Jasper's fingers trailed down Walker's spine, and she patted her behind. Walker stumbled from the force and Jasper laughed.

Jasper always got enjoyment out of slaughter. It made Walker sick to her stomach. This was just a mean, sadistic game. An entirely pointless battle.  Jasper had the advantage, but she was relishing in all the devastation. Even Jasper's people were fighting for no reason but her amusement.  They were dying too; Jasper was laughing.

"Lets get a closer look," Jasper suggested.

Walker looked at her horrified.

"What!? No!"

She had no choice. Jasper snatched her quickly and teleported out of the citadel.  Walker clung desperately to Jasper. It always made her disorientated and nauseous.

When they appeared closer to battle, Walker kept her arms around Jasper and buried her face in the crook of Jasper's neck. Her head was spinning, and she felt like she was going to vomit.

Jasper did not mind. She knew Walker got sick. Jasper's fingers caressed Walker's back back. It was almost tender and caring. Once the dizziness mostly passed, Walker pulled away.

"Feel better?" Jasper asked, brushing a strand of black hair from Walker's face. Walker nodded, she didn't trust herself to speak. Jasper set her down, and Walker looked around.

They were at the base of a hill, surrounded by a dense forest. A vast field stretched before them. In the distance, a cloud of smoke covered the land and snaked through the trees. They were still a good distance away from the confrontation, but the stench of death was stronger. The battle was heard more clearly.

Walker felt another wave of nausea. She longed for the quiet comfort of her cell. And she did not need anymore nightmares filling her head.

Jasper grabbed her arm and pulled her along to get a better look.

She didn't want to get any closer! This was reckless! Why would they get any closer? The smell of gore was pungent.

She tugged at Jasper's grip in a desperate attempt to stop her from advancing into the fray.

A chorus of agonizing screams erupted not far from them, disappearing into the trees.

Jasper took a deep breath, taking in the aroma.

"Isn't it beautiful, Walker? Come on."

"No! Please, Jasper! I... "

Jasper hastily turned toward Walker. Her pupils contracted with bloodlust. Two tiny dots of black against her amber iris. Her mouth twisted in a cruel grin revealing her sharp teeth.