Chapter Twelve: Home

Cold, salty sea water sprayed on her face as the ship glided through the steady waves. The ocean surrounded them, an endless cerulean kissing the clouds and the soft blue sky.

Walker still felt intimidated by the vast unknown before her, still fighting the urge to run back into the safety of a small space, back to the familiarity, back to Jasper. She hated herself for that desire to flee back to the Titan. It did not matter anymore, she was finally going home.

She pulled away from the railing of the ship, smiling at the sun lazily beckoning the morning.

They had been traveling for three days. Thomas had borrowed the ship from a nearby colony that was known for fishing. They needed something inconspicuous to make the journey, and it was not unusual for the fishers to be traveling around this time.

Thomas and Javonne had planned accordingly to avoid arousing suspicions. Trenton, Seth, Javonne, and Kai decided to go with Walker and Robert while Thomas stayed behind to watch over the Temple.

It amazed Walker that she could feel so safe around these humans. They had accepted her, offered her friendship and security.

Walker looked over at Robert at the railing, the smile on her lips tightened with pain.

Over the last few months, she had gotten close to Robert. They had spent a lot of time together. He took the time to teach her and guide her through this unfamiliar territory. This was something Walker knew Robert had no responsibility, or even reason, to do but he did.

Walker still could not wrap her head around Robert's kindness, but she was thankful for it. She was thankful for him.

Walker clutched at her shirt. There was that dull ache in her heart. It would seize her chest when she dwelled upon leaving. She could not explain the sensation.  She was overjoyed to be going home. Why did she feel that hurt?

The crew had predicted they would reach their destination by the end of the day. She would finally be home!

She felt excitement bubbling inside of her.  Her stomach knotted in anticipation.  It was a strange emotion. Walker was giddy.

Home. She could already envision the beautiful city tucked away in an underwater cave.

Would her sisters greet her with open arms?

How much would they have changed?

Would she be different to them?

All these thoughts raced through her mind until she focused on Robert.

Robert leaned against the railing, arms resting on the bar, facing the sea. He ran a hand through his chestnut hair as the breeze caught it.

They did not speak, neither of them knowing what to say to the other. What could be said?  Walker was not sure any words could begin to express her gratitude toward Robert. He brought her home. Robert fulfilled his promise, but he had done more than that.

The sweetness of her return spoilt by the bitterness of saying goodbye.

Walker listened to the waves lap against the boat, the shouts of the crew and the groan of the wood against the pressure of the ocean.

“Do you want to see it?” Walker suddenly asked, unaware that she was speaking or that thought had popped into her head.

“See what?”

“My home. You can come down and see it.”

“How would I do that? I can’t breathe under water.”