Chapter Six: Confrontation

Walker could not bring herself to look up at the rows of cells as she passed them. The smell of waste hung thickly in the air. The deafening echoes of despair filled her ears. It was an all too familiar sound. One that plagued her sleep and seeped into the quietness of her days. The sight of all the imprisoned humans and the mythical creatures shoved into tiny cells made her isolated cell feel like a blessing.

Walker kept her head down, and her eyes focused on the rhythm of her feet against the floor. She was struggling to keep up with Robert and his companions. All of this activity made her beaten body ache, but she was determined to continue. To get away from Jasper.

Several outcomes of their escape ran through her mind. She tried to concentrate on the positive scenario where they were successful.

"You are going to die today." The notion abruptly interrupted Walker's thoughts. "Jasper will catch you, and you will die."

Suddenly, a sickening sense of dread nestled in her stomach. Walker could feel every beat of her racing heart, and there was a suffocating pressure against her chest. Her breathing became shallow as she wrestled to maintain her composure. She felt faint, and her body was burning. All she wanted was to run back to the quiet safety of her cell and retreat into solitude. Why did she even leave? It was suicidal.

"Are you okay?"

Walker looked over at Trenton. She hadn't realized she had stopped. They had left the dungeon and were halted at the foot of the stairs. Robert's hand still held her's, and he was looking at Walker with concern and slight annoyance.

Walker could see the hostility in the eyes of the other three who had tried to attack her.

"I can't breathe. I'm in so much pain." Walker shook her head as tears welled in her eyes. "I can't do this. But I am so close."

Two strong hands rested on her shoulders. Walker looked up with blurry eyes at Trenton, still holding on tightly to Robert's hand.

"I'm going to carry you on my back, okay? You look tired."

Walker nodded. Reluctantly she pulled her hand away from Robert.

Trenton effortlessly bent down and picked up Walker. He draped her over his broad shoulders with one arm hooked behind her knees and his other hand holding her wrist. Trenton turned to his friends and motioned for them to continue.

Walker still could not shake the feeling of trepidation.

"Just breath," Robert instructed.

Walker lifted her head as Robert fell into step with Trenton. He inhaled and exhaled, moving his hands with the motion of his breathing. Walker mimicked him.

"You got to be fucking kidding me," Kai muttered under his breath.

Robert shot him a sharp glance but averted his attention back to Walker.

Walker scowled but continued the exercise, concentrating on her breathing. Her body still ached, but her apprehension was dissolving.

They were so close. They were going to escape.

However, her optimism was cut short when three of Jasper's soldiers rushed down the stairs.

The massive cyclopses towered above the small group. They were a head or two taller than Trenton, but smaller than Jasper and had a beefy inbuilt, Walker noted. Their thick lips were drawn back in savage sneers, revealing sharp yellow teeth. Each wore a black tunic and dark brown pants with orange belts. They clutched large clubs between their immense hands.