Chapter Ten: Closer

After Walker had stormed out of the room, Robert followed her to make sure she was okay. And to make sure that no one discovered her.
Thankfully, she hadn't gone too far.

Robert found Walker standing at the edge of the culdesac, pacing back and forth. The water nymph was trembling and clearly agitated. He could not imagine how she was feeling at this point.

For centuries Jasper had kept her prisoner under false pretenses. But she was not the only lackey under Jasper's control.

Robert wondered why Jasper needed Walker when she already had power and other nymphs to help her. Though, he considered it could be that Jasper had full control over Walker. Jasper had something over her. Not only that, but she used intimidation and threats to keep Walker under control. She almost made it too easy. Why would she give that up?

Robert tried his best to be understanding and patient when he consoled Walker. This was not his area of expertise, and he wasn't quite sure if he completely sympathized with Walker. He was torn between his hatred for the feared Water Witch and the pity for the broken girl sharing his room. Two entities. One being.

Once they returned back to Robert's room, Walker refused to speak to the others. She barely even talked to Robert. She muttered something about sleeping and curled up in his bed. He wasn't too happy about his bed being taken again. The others quietly left, apparently bewildered by this new development.

Once they were gone, Robert changed into some sweats and a different shirt.

At first, he was tempted to kick Walker out of his bed. He stared at her, studying her for a moment. The water nymph wore a pained expression, her brows were furrowed, and her lips were pursed in a thin line. Her black hair fell lazily over her face. The bruises and cuts that had marred her flesh were slowly fading. It was strange how vulnerable and delicate Walker looked.

Robert sighed and crawled next to Walker.

"I am not giving up my bed," Robert thought. "But, I don't have the heart to kick her out."

She made a sound of protest in her sleep but shifted over to give Robert room.

"Why were you staring," Walker asked without opening her eyes.

Robert felt his cheeks burn and quickly laid down with his back toward Walker.

"I was debating about kicking you out of my bed," he replied, blankly, pulling the sheet over his body, trying to hide his embarrassment.

"Sorry. It's just warmer in the bed, and I was cold. I thought you would make me move eventually," Walker mumbled.

Robert felt Walker get up and scoot off the bed. He turned over and propped himself up to watch Walker settle into her cot without saying another word. Walker pulled the blanket over her head and turned away from Robert.

He felt conflicted. He knew that cot was uncomfortable, and Thomas left a pretty thin blanket for it after taking back the rest. He cursed to himself for letting guilt get to him.

"Come on. I'll get you some warmer blankets tomorrow."

Walker sat up, looking at him with confusion. Robert moved over and lifted up the blanket, motioning at the open spot he had made for her.

"You can sleep in the bed tonight."

"With you?"

"Yeah, with me. I am not completely giving up my bed."

There was a stoic look of contemplation on Walker's face. She stared with wide, unblinking green eyes at Robert. It made him wonder what was going on through her head. She seemed lost in some internal conflict. Finally, Walker shook her head and laid back down onto the cot.