Chapter 2: Shopping Day

for commenting first on my first chapter, and wanting to read more.

Hello, everybody once more!

This is the second installation of The Beginning.  I hope you like it.

Keep commenting - I love to hear from readers.

Abookats

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 2

Shopping Day

Scarlett

The next morning I awoke to sunlight streaming in my bedroom window.  Even though I was groggy, I noticed my curtains were still pulled back from the view.  I pushed myself off the bed and saw that I was still wearing the clothes I had had on yesterday.  Oops.

I dragged myself over to the dresser and pulled out the better of my two outfits.  Someone must have stuck the other one in the drawer after I had fallen asleep.  I would have to try to ask around and thank whoever it was.

Another dilemma made itself known.  I did not know where the bathroom was and needed a shower badly.  I grabbed my clothes for the day and grasped the handle on my door to pull it open.  I tried to walk out into the hallway but ran into Jeanette instead.

“Oh, good, you’re up,” she said with a smile.  “Did you get a good night’s sleep?”

I nodded but rubbed a hand across my eyes to signify I was still in the process of waking.  I held up my clean clothes, Where’s the bathroom?

Jeanette looked from the clean outfit to my bed head and rumpled clothes from yesterday.  She smiled and said, “You’ll need to get cleaned up.  You probably feel icky in those old clothes.”

I nodded and yawned.  I followed Jeanette down the hallway to the stairs.  Instead of turning left down them, we turned right and into a room I had not noticed the previous day.  It was no wonder – the door was the same color soft blue as the hallway walls and was adorned with a sailboat painting that covered most of it.

After pointing out the shampoo, towels, and laundry basket, Jeanette left me alone to try to figure out the showerhead.

Refreshed, I headed downstairs after my shower and into the kitchen to find some breakfast.  Laurie greeted me in front of the stove.

“Morning, Scarlett.  Sleep well?”

I smiled and nodded.

“Sit down at the table and I’ll bring these eggs over.  Do you want some toast?” Laurie asked.

I shook my head as I pulled out a chair on one side of the square table.  Jeanette was sitting across from me eating Cheerios and reading the back of the cereal box.  Laurie set down a plate of steaming hot scrambled eggs and a glass of milk in front of me and handed me a fork.  I smiled in thanks before turning a questioning gaze to the open room, looking for Alec.

Laurie guessed my preoccupation.  “Alec’s out at work this morning since you and Jeanette are going shopping.  I could come with you if you want.”

Jeanette answered for me.  “Mo-om.  We’ll be fine.  I know where all the good places to shop are.  I’ll make sure Scarlett gets enough clothes for school, along with tennis shoes.”

Laurie smiled half a smile.  “I know.  But make sure Scarlett also has fun while you’re shopping and take her out to lunch if it gets to be that time of day,” she chided, giving her daughter a soft peck on the crown of her head.  “Have fun, girls.”