Chapter 1: Onwards!

I stand stiffly in the fresh, start-of-July air. The parking lot where the buses will arrive is packed with cars, the parents sending their children off with "Goodbye!" and "I'll miss you, sugar!".

I won't make this cliché. My dad is dead, and that's it. I live with my mom and her sister, Claudia. They take care of me well enough, and I'm so happy with my life in Edmonton, Alberta. Or I was, until my mom decided to send me to Camp Falcon.

So here I am, watching the large yellow buses pull up onto the hard pavement. My mom and aunt already said goodbye and drove away, so am I left here alone, standing by myself. Other teens came with friends. I can see a group of girls roughly my age (17) giggling and glancing all around at the cute boys... lucky them. I can't stop wanting to be them. They're all gorgeous, bubbly, and have friends. Opposite of me. One of them stands out, though. Her hair. It's the first thing I see. Bright, bold, and fucking red velvet. I half want to go talk to them, but how weird would I be?

"All campers, board the buses, ALL CAMPERS." A man yells, holding a hospital-white megaphone in one hand. I struggle with my luggage, which consists of a large teal duffel bag and a pale pink suitcase. I then drag them painfully onto the bus, slipping the duffel bag in an overhead compartment and the suitcase under the seat. I am, sadly, alone yet again on the bus. A strand of auburn hair falls in my face, and I push it back. It falls again, so I take one of the bands off my wrist and pull my hair gently back and into a loose, wavy ponytail.

About 15 minutes later, I'm almost asleep. My ear buds send "Little Bird", by Ed Sheeran into my head and block out everything else. Yawn... I could just fall asleep on the bus and-

"Hey," I glance up and look back down. Then back up. Oh my god. "If you're done checking me out, would you mind if I sat here?" I blink once. Twice. Kate! Don't stare at him! You'll creep him out! I think and blush quickly.

"Hello there, earth to ginger." I snap out of it, and narrow my eyes at his comment.

"Its not nice to judge people by their hair colour." I frown at him slightly. He has the most innocently sexy air about him. His hair is light brown, short, and curly. Adorable! And gosh, his eyes... dark blue and hot, hot, hot.

He puts his hands up in surrender.

"Hey now, I was kidding. I love red hair." He smiles and looks me right in the eyes. Wow, cute and intense. I like it.

"Oh. S-sorry… I just thought-" I am interrupted mid stutter as the bus driver starts yelling something.

"All campers, off the bus, all campers!" I sigh in relief and start getting my

bags from the compartment and under the seat.

" IF YOU DIDN'T HEAR ME CORRECTLY," The bus driver fumes at me and the last few campers still on the bus (the group off girls from before, a cute Korean boy, me, and the other guy talking to me). "I SAID GET OFF THE DAMN BUS!" I quickly pull my luggage down and scamper off, or try to. Someone grabs my arm.

"I didn't get your name." The guy smiles and I melt.

"K-kate." I trip over my own name under his gaze. He reaches out his hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Eric."

Ooh, a gentleman...

WELL HELLO, HUMANS! My name's Clara. I love to read and write. Please please please tell me what you think! Toodles! clarabearz