King

(Edited)

I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be dead. Why? Here let me tell you my whole story. In the year of 1874 I was born in England. Yes, that year. In 1900s I started as an assistant of a very famous doctor back then. My work with him was great he was like my own father. He was a great teacher and a doctor. Everyone likes him and respects him. They say I was lucky to have him as my own mentor. Yes, they are right.

"Mr. Barker this is for saving my husband's life" a woman gave me some fruits

"Don't thank me it's not entirely me who save your husband's life" I told the woman then gestured to my mentor who is behind me.

"I had my mentor with me" my mentor chuckled patting my shoulders saying.

"Indeed I am with you, but you did great there martin, besides it is rude to turn down a lady's gift isn't it?" I sighed smiling and turn to the lady

"I appreciate it" I said taking the fruits with a slight bow.

"Well then, my husband will be taking a party next week he said he wants to invite you both there... we'll be expecting you both" she then gave us a card.

"Mr. Bailey, it' good to see you here" someone came we turn and saw a stranger.

We both have no idea who that was... well, so I thought. My mentor seemed to know him just by reading his expression. The next scene... happened so fast... so sudden that I reacted late. I just stared at my mentor being shot twice right infront of me. After regaining my senses I noticed the one who shot run away with a smirk. People started to approach us and some trying to chase the one who shot it as all of it trying to sink in my mind.

My mentor is the only family I have. My whole family died in a fire accident in a ship... so it's either they are burned or drowned. My mentor was been rushed in the hospital. I didn't help because I was still in shock. I wish I did something though... the words "I'm sorry we couldn't save him" were the words I really hate. For the rest of the week... I became so depressed... till the party came up. The lady still invited me and told me that this party might help me... maybe as a distraction to what happened. I didn't mingle much because all I hear was the words 'I'm sorry for the loss' 'sorry about what happened' how can the party be a distraction when everyone keep on reminding you?

"Excuse me "Someone came, a young lady... might as well the same age as I am, well I'm 24. "You are Martin barker, right?" I nodded at her facing the young lady.

"Indeed I am, and who might you be?" I asked

"You can just call me Kaylie" she smiled. She is indeed gorgeous. Her long blonde hair that was tied seemed soft even if it is tied back. Her green eyes seemed to sparkle every time I stare at it... is it just me?

"Then call me martin" I bowed a bit with a smile.

That moment was memorable... and it was really fun meeting her. I forgot all about my mentor's death. Ignoring people's pity around me. It seemed everything is fine around her... that I have nothing to worry about... not a single thing. She is the daughter of the lady and her husband that we saved. It was like she is the center of the party that I entered. I could say I was lucky yet again to be able to meet her.

Few months came the both of us would meet each other or maybe her parents would invite me at their home for dinner. Without my mentor I learned to live by myself and work as a doctor myself. They all respect me like how they did to my mentor. The thing is... that's all I just thought. I had save countless of lives but why are they treating me like this? Yes, some still appreciate my works my dedication as a doctor.