Waiting Game

Iain was sat on his bed waiting for the news on his youthful co-worker Lily, and the news had hit him, Emison had died and Lily was unlikely to wake up without having serious brain damage or memory loss, but everyone in the ED were hopeful for the young medic, and Iain's true intentions had arisen while being at Lily's bedside day and night for the past day. While Jez was doing okay, having not inhaled as much gas or hit his head at all in the explosions he was involved with but had frequently come to see Iain and Lily while bringing food because Iain wouldn't leave Lily alone in HDU.

The whole of the ED was still in shock for the deaths of several members of staff in the ED and some of AAU and the patients who hadn't been able to survive the surgery and had died during the night and the early morning. People of loved ones had been in the rooms all night hoping with all their hearts that they're family or friend would be okay and including most of the ED Staff were in the same room as Lily.

Lily had come off the ventilator during the night but she had been put back on it almost immediately, her brain function test was looking good but no signs of waking up was inevitable. Lily was a lucky one she had pulled through and she was sticking with it, she was on the ventilator but her heart rate was erratic and her breathing was long and heard with the breaths heard by the machine were working hard to keep her alive.

She was improving but she wasn't in a state to come off the ventilator and Connie told Lily's mother on the phone that the chance of Lily waking would get worse the more the time Lily was in a coma. Li Na had decided to come over from Scotland with her other half of her family on her own to Holby. Iain was told about Lily's condition at the same time as the other staff. 

Everyone was scared for Lily she was suffering, she was potentially dying a hospital bed every day and no one would if they could and couldn't do anything to stop her from dying and wasting away in a bed which she had despised when in previously, once with her son and the scooter accident when she was sleep deprived which was her fault and everyone was trying to tell her it wasn't but she wouldn't let anyone in it was her exterior which kept her standing.

Iain walked away from the room with Robyn who both of them had been at her side for the past twenty-three and a half hours and they were willing to stay longer the longest they had both stayed together was the first time Lily was brought down to the ITU she had moved her finger and they though she was waking but the doctors said her brain function test was showing brain activity and they stopped for the next thirty-six hours and they didn't move a muscle they were by her side and she was taken off but put back on immediately because she was far too weak to breathe on her own.

Iain was there for her no matter,Lily had done or got herself into they were the strongest friends the ED had seen they were inseparable a they were thick as thieves on the night shift seeking up to the on-call room to watch their programme at 11pm and watching when they could sometimes until 2 am and when Iain's shift ended he would stay to watch the end and promise to not watch on which her but he always did.