punch

I woke the next morning to an annoying weight on my bed. I knew it wasn't my own, because I was curled into the furthest corner of my bed, pulled into the furthest corner of my room. The two happened to be connected.

When I opened my eyes, I leveled my sister with the iciest glare I could muster. I knew it was nothing compared to the ice in Nash's everyday look, but it was a sufficient amount. She frowned slightly under my look before I shifted my gaze to the clock in the corner of my TV screen.

"Elena," I said, using her full name. She pulled her knees up and I saw that she was in her jeans and a silk blouse. "I know your vision occasionally fails you," I began. I wore contacts because I hated my glasses, but I one hundred percent knew how bad her vision was. "But surely you have an internal clock somewhere under all the sparkles that told you that it is not even nine yet."

"Dad is home," she began. "I was going to go out with this boy, and—"

"At eight forty two!" I felt my jaw clench and leveled her with an intense glare.

"No, at nine," she said with a small blush. "He wanted to spend the day together."

"Lena," I said slowly. She sighed in relief, obviously happy that her full name was no longer in use. "You're fourteen."

She ignored my statement and said, "Well, he can drive, but I didn't deem it appropriate to be picked up. I knew Dad wouldn't say anything but... I don't know. I need a ride."

"To where?" I sighed, leaning back in despair. There went my late morning. I knew Dad wouldn't say anything, either. In fact, he wouldn't care. He hadn't shown anything remotely related to a fatherly concern in months and Elena knew it. She was just hanging on that shred of hope that he really cared and just didn't pipe up.

"To that breakfast place with the pancake stacks and all the blueberry syrup and—"

"Yeah, yeah. Go away. I'll be right there." She grinned and hopped off my bed quickly. "Wait, Lena?" I called. She peeped her head back into the room. "Am I picking up the twerp, too?"

She frowned. "I don't know. Let me ask." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. While I hadn't wasted time being made fun of for needing rides for dates at her age, I'd been able to use the tree next to the window in my previous room to get out the window. We would walk around and talk about little kid things, and whatnot. A boy may have kissed my cheek, may have pecked my lips, but that was scandalous in my eyes.

Now, I just wondered if it was the boy she told me about the other day. I quickly pulled on some jeans and a black sleeveless top and a red leather jacket. It was my favorite one, because it made me look edgy but not bad. When I was finished, I quickly brushed my teeth and piled my hair into a thick French braid. It was about nine when I was finished, and Elena was in my room tugging on my arm.

I quickly shoved my black boots on and grabbed my phone. We got into the car, her practically buzzing with excitement. It wasn't her first date, but I could tell it was the first time she actually gave a crap about who she was going with.

"Lena, is this the boy you were telling me about?" I asked, looking at her at a stoplight. She blushed, and it was nothing like when I did. Since the rest of the family was a little lighter than me, their blushes were a furious, scarlet color. Mine were just simple, pink tints. I was glad in that respect.

She directed me to his house—I briefly wondered how she knew the way; I'd pay attention to her whereabouts after midnight later—and I sat in the front while she bounded up to the door happily. The door opened a few moments later and saw a tall, blonde boy with shockingly blue eyes. My eyes widened at the sight and I wondered just how my sweet little sister had bagged a boy who looked so...