gang gang

Nash wasn't at school.

I didn't know why he disappeared. He wasn't at home, either, but Amber said she'd looked around and stalked and—somehow—figured out that he hadn't moved. I still saw his mom come home late at night, so I knew they were still there. It was a weird Monday without him there to make me uncomfortable with his stares and cold attitude. I missed it.

I was on my way to third period when Jagger appeared. He looked terrible, almost like he felt bad for what he did. I didn't think he did, though. He had purple bags under his eyes and bruises dotting his skin. They were like shafts where my crutches had hit him.

"All you're missing is a few broken bones. You'd know what that looked like, only you sent someone to do it for you," I said dryly, passing him and making sure to step on his toe with my crutch. I heard a quiet squeak of pain and smirked in satisfaction.

"I'm sorry," he ground out. I turned back and fixed him with a glare. "I told you, I didn't think he'd do that to you."

"So it was okay if he did it to Nash?"

"Yes." Jagger shrugged and leaned against the lockers. I found Amber's eyes and saw that she was glaring fiercely at Jagger, as were a few other people. What he'd done was known throughout the school; even people who didn't like me were ignoring him.

"You're not sorry," I said evenly. "You want to apologize so your social status will find it's way back up. I'm sorry, but guys who pay people to beat other people up are rats. You aren't only a rat, you're a super rat. You're worse than rats."

"Seb—"

"Don't talk to me," I said, holding my hand up.

"I thought he was making moves on you!"

"He kissed me!" I blurted. "And he deserved that a lot more than you! Because you know what? I felt nothing when we kissed." I felt my eyes narrow and clarified the statement, "You are nothing to me. Nothing but a rat caught in a mouse trap."

I brushed past him and went to third period. I was late, but people were still filing in after staying out to witness the exchange. It almost seemed as though the news had circled to the teachers; they looked at Jagger in disgust when he walked in with his head hanging. When he sat down, I caught Lane sending Jagger smug looks.

The class period passed slowly and I felt my eyes drooping throughout the whole thing. When cheer practice rolled around, I was about to head that way when I got a text saying practice was canceled. Smiling, I went home and took a shower. I was walking on my boot, but my therapist said not to overdo it. I looked at the back of my hands, calloused and scarred. I missed the lessons with Nash. I could feel my arms weakening.

Sucking on my bottom lip, I climbed out of the tub and got ready for bed quickly. I was still going to the Underground, even with Nash gone. I didn't need him. Besides, Clark also went.

I was right; Clark was there. He met me and didn't leave my side, staying where Nash usually stayed. I expected it to be weird between us since I used him to get to Nash, but he didn't seem to mind.

"So where is Nash?" I asked conversationally. Clark's face darkened and he shrugged.

"Nowhere for you to be concerned about."

"Why does everyone talk like he's toxic or something?"

"He is," Clark stated flatly. "He meant it when he said stay away."

"Does he tell you this stuff or do you just somehow know?"

"What did you think guys talked about?" he asked, rolling his eyes. My blush must have told him what I thought, because he laughed. "That, too."