epilogue

Elena had been talking nonstop about the opening of her newest shop. She'd been talking so much, even I was growing excited. Nash had helped her with most of the cost, but she vowed to pay him back for every penny. I looked in the mirror to make sure I looked perfect for the occasion.

My short, chin-length hair was straightened to a glossy perfection. I wore a dark red dress that went to the middle of my thighs, fanning out at the waist. The sleeves were long and the back was low. My feet were clad in heels to match, but I was still shorter than Nash. I looked at my legs, much thicker than I would like. The muscles moved underneath the skin when I walked, which was quite annoying.

Luckily, the tight sleeves showcased the arms I'd worked hard for and took some of the focus off my bulky legs. Elena had done my makeup in products she'd come up with in the Michaelson basement—sketchy, but still good—when she came back from college. Red lipstick, dark eye makeup, popping highlighter. She definitely went all out for this.

Nash walked into the room, clad reluctantly in the suit I'd chosen for him. He so often wore all black, so I forced him into a white undershirt this time. He looked like a more professional man rather than that dark, hotter-than-the-sun grim reaper look he usually had going. He smiled tightly, obviously hating the brightness of that crisp new undershirt.

"There's a reason I usually go with black," he muttered, glaring at the white. "This white looks ridiculous with my hair."

"That's the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard. Amber and I pressed that shirt just for this occasion. You're wearing it." I smiled at the annoyed look on his face, brushing past him to grab my jacket. "Besides, it brings out your jawline."

I turned to see him fixing his tie for a moment, struggling to make it fit to his liking. Rolling my eyes, I walked over and loosened it, fixing the bent edge before readjusting it. "Let's go. We're going to be late."

Elena was already there and waiting, still making tiny adjustments that didn't need to be made to everything. When we arrived to one of the busiest areas of the city, we found the building she'd chosen acquiring a small crowd, most of them teenagers or old women. I walked through, everyone splitting to make a small aisle for Nash and I. He naturally had that effect; no one wanted to be near him because his icy expression made him look like he was about to kill someone.

I tried to work on it with him. It never changed. He just wasn't generally an approachable person.

Elena opened the door for us and glared at us both. "It opens in three minutes. You were supposed to be here at fifteen 'til."

"Nash was complaining."

"Sure, blame me."

"I am," I said with a grin, turning back to Elena. "Is everything ready? You have a crowd outside."

"Senseless is ready to open," she said with a smile, turning to admire all her work. The interior was dark, the floors nearly black and the walls red. She claimed to have named it after our lives since Nash appeared; nothing made sense. I couldn't have agreed more.

Nash was thoroughly offended.

She'd had a photographer in the family get several pictures of me, her, Amber, and a few other people with different types of makeup from her brand. I looked at all of them, some just close-ups of red lips or smoky eyes. She'd gotten a close-up of Nash and I—from the nose down—with me wearing red lipstick and him kissing just at the corner of my mouth.

She said it was to show that it was "kiss proof," but I figured it was just for the cuteness. I mean, it was an adorable picture. I framed it.

I looked at the rows and rows of products, some big brands and others simple things. It was just like your next Sephora, only my little sister did this, semi on her own. And it was prettier.