; separation

"oh, come on! you cannot just stand there and tell me that all of this is my fault and my fault only.", wes huffed from in the kitchen.

we were in a huge fight, and it was getting to be ridiculous.
there was already several dropped ceramic bowls on the floor, broken.
slammed doors. held in words. short fuses.

a small child in her room, scared and crying.

"i never said it was just you, now did i?! you jump to conclusions, wes. that's a problem."

"no, y/n. THIS is a problem.", he said as he made hand movements around all the scatted pieces of glass and debris on the kitchen and living room floors.

i hear my baby girl crying from her room upstairs. my heart breaks even more than it already had tonight, if that were possible.

"look. this has been going on for two years now, and we've only been married for four. this is absolute fucking hell. i'm tired of arguing about money, i'm tired of always being the one that's blamed, and i'm damn sure tired of us making willow cry. now, i'm going to call my mom to come get her so she doesn't have to be around this tonight. we can either work things out while she's gone for the night, or she can stay with my mom until we figure out what the issue is. point is, i'm not making a five year old deal with all of this, wesley. i refuse to.", i speak my mind for what seems like the first time in forever.

i expect yells to be fired back at me, but he spoke in a soft whisper instead. as if it pained him to talk.

"tell..tell your mom to pick you up, too."

"what?", i say as if i had misheard him.

excuse me? this is my home, too.

"i can't do this anymore, y/n. i am so sick and tired of this. i'm fed up. maybe, in a couple of years or something we can try again...but for now...i think we're done."

he started to walk away, i'm assuming to go to willow's room.

"just, tell me why.", i croak out.

at this point, i couldn't cry any more. all i could do was feel like i was going to.

i knew that i wouldn't, though. i didn't have any tears left.

wes stopped dead in his tracks and spun around slowly.

"what?", he scoffed.

"tell me why....four years ago, you lied so hard. tell me why, when the priest asked if you truly loved me and wanted me in your life, you said yes if you didn't mean it...which it's pretty clear that you didn't. i trusted you, wes. our daughter trusted you. we trusted you to take care of us. and you didn't."

"maybe that's because i wasn't lying. it still isn't a lie. if you think that me saying we really need a break right now means that i don't love you and willow, then do you even know who i am anymore? i will always care about you, y/n, it's just that caring about someone and having the ability to always make it work and show that you love them are two different things. i didn't say that this was forever. i said maybe we could see things together in the future. hell, i didn't even plan to take my ring off...that, if anything, should show you that i want this to work out. i just think that for now, it'd be best for us, and willow too for that matter, if we just call it quits and say we're just separating for a little while. hopefully, it's just a little while..but if not, i'm sure what ever happens will be for the best.", he explained.

"okay, yeah. i get it. i think we need to do something too...for the sake of our little girl. separating for as long as we need to...could...work.. i'm gonna go and pack and then go to mom's for awhile, with willow....i'm going to do some thinking. i hope you will too.", i calmly agree that this could possibly be the best option for us right now, and then i head upstairs to get everything my daughter and i would need.

as i walked away, i heard wes whisper.

"God, please let this work out. you know i love her...them. you know how much i need this to get sorted out. please help us figure out what to do."