; the last rose

he was unmistakably in love with her. he knew it.

so did she.

so did everyone.

she was just always interested in someone else; someone that wasn't him.
and it hurt him. a lot.

"wes. man. you gotta give it up.", his friends always told him.
but he refused.

though they were only in their very early thirties, they had both been widowed.

he only felt it natural that he should be there to numb her pain, and she for his.

she didn't want that, though.

he had tried everything he could think of...except one last tactic. he figured he must at least try; at this point, what bad would it do. he had already embarrassed himself in all the other ways...how would this time be any different.

he had to try anything and everything.

because he loved her.

he went out to a florist and gathered a dozen roses.
after he returned home, he took one of them out...leaving eleven....

the next day at work, he took them to her.

"wesley...", she began. but he didn't allow her words to continue.

"wait. y/n, it's no secret that i love you. everyone knows. and i've been told that i really need to get over you. so, please..take these flowers. when the very last rose dies...just know that my love for you went with it. i'll be over you. when it passes.", he explained.

y/n took the vase and set it upon her desk, wes walking away.

as the days went on, y/n saw flower after flower perish.
as much as she hated to admit it, she really didn't want to see the last rose go...

little did she know, she never had to.

she tended to the roses every day, and upon watering them one of those days, she found something she has never noticed about them.

she saw shiny metal.

she followed along the metal with her fingers, and soon got to the bottom of the strange sighting.

she carefully pulled the metal thing out, only to find that it was a metal rose.

wes had taken a real rose out and replaced it.

"when the last rose dies, my love for you will have too.", her mind recalled him talking to her.

the last rose never would have died...

just like wesley's love for her.

alright what.