Draft

The moment was ruined.

I was so close to those lips of his. So close to getting what I wanted, but as always, the universe seemed to have some plan to obliterate my chances of being happy.

Luckily, the connection that me and Alex shared did not come to an abrupt end by my doing. Calandra and Ares seemed to be having a domestic that escalated in the other room.

I was very tempted to pretend that I hadn't heard any of what had just gone on, but Alex, being of the 'mightier than thou' ilk, decided that it was his place to step in.

Before he waltzed into the situation, I held him back for a moment,

"You have no place to get involved in their quarrels," I look at him, still slightly peeved that our moment had ended, "I know that he's your brother and that you want to help, but his issues with Calandra are exactly that, his issues."

He shakes my hand off of him - rather aggressively I hasten to add - and carries on, in the general direction of Ares' and Calandra's voices. Voices whose pitches were increasing by the second.

By the time that I storm in behind Alex the two were having a full blown screaming match. I was absolutely fuming about the way that Alex had just treated me - first ignoring my perfectly sound advice, and then manhandling me - and with a wounded pride, I was in the mood to cause some mischief and get my own back.

Back to the moment at hand; as usual it was Calandra dishing out the incredibly mean low blows, and quite honestly it was getting slightly boring at this point. For someone who claimed to be the most majestic/ queen bee being of the Land of the Living she sure was a mean b*tch.

Before I knew what I was doing I put myself on the radar. On Ares' side of course (even though he tried to pick a fight with me a few minutes earlier - understandably I suppose).

I clear my throat,

"Guys, is it really going to help solve your issues if you keep going at each others necks?"

To me, that was a perfectly normal question, one that implied I was trying to keep the peace, and resolve their issues - for Ares' sake, because I'm forever team Ares. But apparently to Calandra that question meant 'ago for the water works'.

Crumpled on the ground and balling her eyes out, Calandra sobbed out a few inaudible words. Suddenly feeling very guilty for making this woman cry, and extremely awkward, I felt the need to blame someone else. I turned to glare at Alex, because it was all his fault that we intruded on their little outburst in the first place, but he was just looking at me slightly sad, and...disappointed? I couldn't quite make it out.

Not sure how I'd managed to put myself in it this time, but Calandra was a mess and even Ares looked a little down.

"I should never be a couples therapist..." I mumble to myself as I slowly retreat away from the situation.

As soon as I get out of the main entrance hall - where the whole commotion just took place - I sprint to my room. Somehow this one situation and my gargantuan slip up, started a sort of domino effect where-in I suddenly start to evaluate, my entire life and my decisions.

Did I really think that I could fit in here? I was a clumsy, disorganised, frazzled person, who could never be a leader of any human groups, never mind elite, SAT hunting, demi-gods. My training with Ares had made it very clear that my emotions ruled over my power, which apparently was bad because that meant I had no control of them. Which, in other words, meant that I sucked at my own power.

In terms of Alex, my soulmate, who was clearly my polar opposite in every conceivable way, I couldn't figure out a scenario in which we would be a good team. Without the soul bond I'm pretty sure that I would actively dislike him - in fact sometimes I do. Controlling, harsh, overly organised and dedicated to work, we had nothing in common except the soul marks that decorated the skin on our arms.