The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Eleven

Wow! This chapter has certainly given me a lot of trouble. First, I had a malfunction with the only saved copy I had- it caught a virus and was so corrupt I had to start all over with the whole story pretty much. So now I have a digital and physical copy.

I want to thank everyone who has stuck by me and is still here to read this. I'd hug every single one of of you if I could. So this chapter is dedicated to all of you.

Please vote and comment!

Recap:

Suddenly Matthew jumps out of my arms growling at Steve.

“Matthew!” I hissed at him. He’s never done anything like this before. As soon as his eyes met mine I saw the fear in his eyes. Carefully I crouched down so I could look him in the eyes, he came forward towards me and before I knew it he was nestled back in my neck.

I looked up at Steve, ‘What was that about?’

Steve looked down at me with the same wonderment. ‘Could it be he’s shifting soon?’

A jet of fear spiked through me. Even me with Alpha blood flowing through me I still didn’t shift until I was ten. “Sweetie, why did you growl at your Uncle?”

Mathew tried to mumble something into my shoulder and as good as my hearing is I still couldn’t understand him. “Let’s try that again.” Shifting him onto my lap I held him like a baby, hiding him behind my curtain of hair.

“He made me angry.” He noticed the look I was giving him and tried again “He took a step closer to you from behind. I don’t know why but that made me angry.”

“Defending his alpha.” Steve whispered.

“You know that Steve has pledged to me so he’d never hurt me.” Matthew nodded but I could see the hesitancy still linger in his blue-green eyes.

‘This could be more challenging than I thought.’ Steve pushed through the mind link. I wanted to roll my eyes at him but my eyes caught sight of the time and I knew I had to move this along quickly.

“I trust him Matthew.” I pushed my face as close to his. “If I didn’t he would never be your uncle. Do you trust me?” His head nodded slowly and with one hand I hooked the wolf carving off my neck and put it around Matthew’s. “I promise everything will be okay. And I will see you soon. Keep this safe for me.”

“Hate to interrupt but if we don’t get moving soon we won’t be able to get some flapjacks.” Steve said picking up his and Matthews backpacks.

I held in a laugh as Matthew bounced out of my lap, what that boy wouldn’t do for food.

I gave both guys long hugs before sending them out into the pre-dawn light. “Be safe.” I whispered as Steve drove away in his jeep.

----------

The dust from the drive settled down quickly, looking once again peaceful and serene. The plan was in motion and I couldn’t stop it now. Still some part of me felt so wrong in doing this, it was un-natural to split up when danger was around the corner. I sent up a silent prayer hoping that I was making the right decision. I needed my biggest weakness protected in case all else failed. That child was my heart and I could only hope and pray that what I was doing today would make the future better, especially for him. I also needed Steve to train him. Sure I could teach self-defense and discipline but in how to be a man? That was where I was a t a loss. And unfortunately that was exactly what Matthew needed. He needed a strong man to show him the way and push him to be better, in ways that I couldn’t. My urge to protect and shelter him was too strong. Closing my eyes I could feel it in my chest, a small bubble of pain trying to make it’s was to the surface but I shoved it down. There was no time today to be emotional. Turning back into the manor I opened up my mind to the voices barely waking up in the house. Light as a feather I brushed against each mind to see if anyone had any idea what had just happened. Exhaling slowly I realized my plan had gone well for now. Pushing through the swinging door to the kitchen I started to pull out ingredients from the fridge. Slowly and methodically I grabbed eggs, bacon, flour, cheese and butter. Laying the bacon out on the large frying pan I took out a couple of bowls and began mixing things. It wasn’t until I heard someone come in that I registered what exactly I had been making.