Chapter 2

Dedicated to WhedonWorshipper for her crazy support of this story XD

Peggy POV
  I guess I was simple. I followed the rules, I read, I did well in school, I ate lunch in the library, my teachers liked me, and I lived in my older sisters' shadows.  I wasn't really anything special, and I guess that was why I was surprised when Maria sat with me. I mean, she didn't know me, so there was no reason she wouldn't, so I guess I was overthinking it. After the lecture/pep talk, we went to our classes and met our teachers. I was pleased to see that Maria was in almost all of my classes. When it came time for lunch, I grabbed my paper bag from my locker and was heading towards the library when I heard someone run up to me.
"Hey Peggy!" Maria said, out of breath. "Do you want to sit with me at lunch? I mean, if you have like arrangements or something you don't have to, but I'm new here and...." she trailed off, looking kind of embarrassed.
"No, I'd be happy to!" I responded. Of course I didn't have plans for lunch, other than help the librarian, Mrs. Libera organize books. I walked with Maria to the cafeteria, a newfound confidence in my step.
***
"Ugh, is the pizza supposed to be this soggy?" Maria looked at the dripping slice of pizza in disgust.
"I don't know. Maybe it's today's special. 'Cheese pizza with extra sog.'" I said dramatically. She was easy to be around. It was refreshing to not be so tense constantly. Maria started cracking up, and I wondered,  Wait, was that funny? Are we becoming friends? Whatever was happening, it was different, and I liked it.
"Ooh... who's that?" Maria said, pointing at James, the captain of the football team.
"That's James. I don't really know him." That was true, but I didn't tell her the rumors. Maybe I should have, because she got up, and walked confidently towards his table.
"Hey. What's up?" She said, plopping onto an empty seat as if she always sat at that table.
"Who's this chick?" I heard Herc say. He was sitting right next to James. I wasn't sure what to do. I had started to follow her, but I  had stopped and was just standing and watching.
"I'm Maria," she responded casually.
"Hi Maria," James said, almost trying out the name. "What are you doing here?" he said in a weird voice. It was kind of menacing, but in a hidden way. Maria didn't notice.
"Well, I thought that you were cute, and that I should get a closer look." Wow, she was confident. The boys chuckled, and James looked impressed.
"Well then, Maria. How 'bout you take a 'closer look' at me at a movie on Friday," he said. I was nervous. Should I just have been standing there?
"Ok, I'll see you then," Maria responded as carelessly as before, getting up from the table. She walked towards me, and then we walked back to our table.
"That was... interesting," I said, mystified.
"I can't wait for Friday!" She responded, breaking out of her carefree facade.