Chapter One

"Yes mother, I'll be back before dark."

I always wondered why she was so worried about me, because in all honesty I'd grown up barely home, not necessarily always with friends. Sitting on top of the Dunes, by the ocean always calmed my nerves... Looking out to into the deep blue sea, it's waves some days peaked with a white foam and other days nothing, it looked like you could walk across to the other side. Of course I knew that was impossible but it's good to dream, right?

However now a days I found the dunes to be an unsafe place, in fact everywhere was unsafe. I walked towards one of my friend's houses, having told my mother that was in fact where I was going, although she wouldn't leave the house to check if I did or did not. The house overlooked the beach, where as my family had a house set a few streets back. The streets that used to be bursting at the seems, no where to move were quiet now, ever since the outbreak of the war no soul found it safe enough to venture out of their houses... Especially when the soldiers were everywhere and war was approaching from inland. It could be here any day but no one really knew anymore.

I reached Naila's house, the blinds shut at the front just like every other house on the sea front. Knocking on the heavy door she answered within seconds, exited and slammed the door after her. "You came at just the right time" Her words rang in my head, I looked at her puzzled "My father said it's imminent now, they soldiers are being pushed back, and we all need to leave." I knew it was going to happen sooner or later but the look on her face said she was being serious. I needed to leave, we all did but I just couldn't face that at that moment in time. "Can't we just stay here, hide out somewhere? Surely they won't do too much damage, there won't be too many of them and they'll be fighting in the marshes... Not on the beaches."

If push came to shove, I knew of a place we could stay, a little farm house my grandparents had occupied before they moved into our house because of the war. It stood just outside of the main town of Dunkirk, but still close enough we would be able to come in for food and also stay out of the way incase of invasion from both sides. We both knew of the farm house, being friends for as long as we had I'd taken Naila there various times to run around the fields and ride the horses. I knew I'd have to go, my mother was getting weaker by the day, my grandparents and father were too absorbed in her to notice what was going on outside the house. I'd tried telling them various times, but I was brushed off by a 'Don't be silly' or a 'It won't get this far'... Little did they know.

I noticed we had been walking while talking and were now facing the east mole, the harbour really was beautiful... I'd grown up in this town, my eighteen years of life spent within it's boundaries. Only leaving for holidays or to see my family. I'd never seen war like this before, I had however heard the tales of the Great War but those were only... tales this was real.

"Do you remember my grand parents farm? A few miles from here? Couldn't we go there, it'd be out of the way and we wouldn't have to get past the german defences up the coast." I could see her mind wander, before she nodded. "That sounds reasonable, I'll see what my family say." I already knew exactly what I would be told, my mother too ill to move would be at risk and to risk her for the rest of the family would be irresponsible... But it couldn't hurt to try, could it?

Once we had wandered along the seafront, we said our goodbyes, promising to see each other in the morning to discuss the plan. The journey back to the terraced house was that of a quick one, the streets were once again deserted, apart from a few drunk, old men ambling either to one of the pubs still open or back to their families. Time really did stand still, most of the young men had enlisted in the army and so businesses shut from the lack of help, the farms produced dried up and the pubs, cafes and restaurants were all closed, apart from two.

I knocked three times on the door, waiting for someone to let me in. "You got back just in time for dinner" My nan greeted me, her hands, the long nails which were chipped and could do with being cut were placed on my shoulder. I dropped my bag by the front door, the smell of the simple meal radiated around the house, before I sat down at the large dining table. "We need to leave."

I didn't give anyone a chance to get a word in, it was true and it needed to be dealt with. "They're coming, and you know that if they come to the beaches there will be a massacre." My father looked at me, "Riley, we are not leaving. How many times do I have to tell you, there is no threat. If you want to leave go ahead, pack your bags but this family is not coming with you, your mother is too sick to travel, she has more bad days than good right now and I am not putting her death down to your irresponsible actions." I stood up abruptly, pushing my chair out. I had to think.

**************

Wow! I don't know what to think of this, Me and my friend are obsessed right now with the whole theory of Dunkirk and everything and I just thought "Why am I not writing something."

I know my writing isn't the best but honestly I felt like I was in a creative mood and this happened so you know. Riley and Naila are in for a big shock! Both Harry and Fionn will be introduced soon but I'm trying to make it semi realistic (If I can even do that). I've been so interested in war and conflict since I was about 4, I've been to Dunkirk and around the surrounding area and I know some stories from my grand dad who was helping get the soldiers out so hopefully I will be able to include some back story from other people.

Obviously this is set in 1940's France and only knowing this from a British point of view, I'll never have the full perspective... However if you have any info then comment down here because I want to stay as correct as I can... Except having a bit of a story entangled in.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this.

R.