Chapter Seven.

My mood had lifted at  the smell of food, although the servings we had were tiny I had always loved food. Throughout my life no one understood how I didn't put weight on, I would eat and eat... That was until the outbreak of War.

During war, our food rations had been limited
and although we still got enough food to survive on, no one could thrive on it.

I'd helped Fionn out of the bathroom, he was a little stronger now and although his leg was obviously still bothering him, it didn't seem to be as bad as it had done previously. Sitting him down at one of the chairs I turned to Naila, she was still laughing around with Harry. There was always a chance that we would fail to get the soldiers out before the enemy came knocking at the door... We all knew that and with that we would all get shot in a heartbeat. It plagued my head, made it spin and through the laughs and jokes we had at the table that was always on my mind. 

We ate in silence, well Fionn and I did, while Naila and Harry were joking, obviously interested in each other. My gaze flickered to Fionn, to see he was already looking at me obviously trying to distract himself from the other two. I snuck a small smile at him, to which he returned and pushed my chair out. 

I heard a chair scrape from behind me "You're surely not going to leave me here are you?" His voice radiated around the room, still being overshadowed with the laughs of my friend and Harry. I span on my heel, striding over to Fionn and holding my hands out, he grabbed my wrists and pulled, his muscles bulking in the process. I tensed my shoulders and pulled him up so we were face to face, forgetting we were in the kitchen for a few seconds, we both stared at each other. That was until I broke the stare and ducked, dropping one hand and going to his side as to make him droop an arm over my shoulder. 

Fionn audibly sighed, hearing him do so I turned my head to look at him. He was taller than me, but not by much. His brown hair was disheveled and still damp from the shower, it curled slightly and laid over his forehead. He did look beautiful, if that was the word to use. The shirt that I had let him borrow from my brother's wardrobe fitted him quite well, it hung loosely from his petite frame. The collar was unbuttoned down to the third or fourth hole, leaving a portion of his chest visible to my eyes. 

"Are you alright...?" He snapped my out of my day dream, a smile on his face and my cheeks flushed a bright shade of red. I quickly nodded, turning my head away from him and beginning to walk towards the living room.

The limp that Fionn was working with didn't seem to bother him too much, it obviously still stung and it probably would do until it had time to fully heal. I helped him perch on the chair he had previously been positioned on, before taking a few steps over to the radio, not knowing if it would still work. To my surprise it flicked into life, I tuned it quickly hearing the small sound of a voice and realising that the station was still being aired that my grandfather used to listen to. 

"La date est le 29 mai 1940"

Fionn gasped, his eyes darting to mine, he was pale. I gave him a puzzled look. "What if we have missed the opportunity to get away?" He questioned me, and at that moment I heard the sound of an aircraft overhead. More importantly the aircraft seemed to fill the space with it's sound, I panicked, thinking that maybe we'd be goners, but it seemed to produce a shrieking sound and then a huge explosion. I was on my knees at that moment but I didn't feel anything, raising my head a second later, I looked around. Nothing. 

Pushing myself up from the floor, I ran out to the kitchen. "An aircraft just went down, it missed the house by a few hundred metres." I let out the breath I didn't realise I had been holding. Thank god.

*******

Hi! 

I'm so so so sorry I haven't updated for ages, well since NYE but I've been very busy and have had no energy to write something. I hope everyone's having a great year, I know this was short but I wanted to write and get something out there before I ended up screaming at myself.

Anyway so, I'm not sure when I will next update. It may be soon it may not be but you know we'll see when I roll.

Have a good however long I'm away again!

R