Chapter Four

Sherlock’s POV

After the cab drops us off on Baker Street, I open the door and lead Lo up the stairs into my home. John must’ve cleaned while I was gone; the place actually looks decent.

“Who’s this?” John asks.

“Humbert’s stepdaughter Lo. He was… having inappropriate relations with her– sorry Lo– and I put a stop to it. She’s going to be staying with us for a while.”

John sort of stares at us before speaking. “Oh, my God, I am… so sorry. We don’t have another bed right now, I’m afraid, but would you be all right with sleeping on the sofa?” he says. Lo nods.

“That’s good,” she says in a hushed tone.

“It’s getting late, so you must be worn out. After everything you’ve seen today… I can’t imagine. I am so sorry, love. Everything’s okay, I promise you that.” I set a nicely folded blanket on the sofa. “I’m going to the scene to help Lestrade. John can help you, if you need anything.” John gives me a reassuring nod. “I’ll be back in less than three hours!” I dash outside. Hopefully Lo will be safe and sound.

Lo’s POV

I make myself comfortable on the couch and pull the blanket up to my chin.

“Like Sherlock said, if you need anything, anything at all, you just let me know. I’ll be upstairs.” John takes his laptop upstairs and I’m left alone. It’s been a while since my life’s felt the slightest bit peaceful, so it’s hard to adjust. To prevent myself from crying again, I focus on the sounds of London outside the window. Slowly, I drift off to sleep.

4 hours later

I jolt upright out of my dreams. The ticking clock on the wall tells me it’s just past midnight. I can’t go back to sleep. Not when I know Humbert can haunt me in my sleep, too.

I sit up, stretch my arms, and begin creeping up the stairs. I come across a room with the door wide open and I walk inside. Sherlock sits on the side of the bed, his head hanging low. He must be thinking about something.

“Lo?” he says. I hold my breath. “Lo, is that you?”

“I dreamt about Humbert,” I reply. “And I can’t go back to sleep. I’m sorry.”

Sherlock turns around. “Don’t be sorry. Come here.” I climb onto the bed and lay my head on the pillow.

“Humbert can’t hurt you ever again. You do understand that, don’t you, Lo? You’re safe now.” He hugs me and I really do feel safe. His embrace is so warm. “Nobody is going to hurt you.”

©2014 "Sweet Dreams" by Peyton Celeste. See copyright info in description of story.