I would never hit you

This is inspired by a headcanon I saw recently.

After Blood of Olympus

Annabeth's POV:

I woke up late at night just to hear someone scream and thrash beside me, and it was none other than Percy. He was covered in sweat and his breath was shallow and I felt anger gushing inside of me. It was no wonder he was nervous about us spending the night together.

I had asked him," Hey Perce, is it okay if I spend the night?"

He seemed really happy with the arrangement first but then he seemed to hesitate. After I raised an eyebrow in question, he shrugged his shoulders and we continued to watch the show.

Now I know why he was anxious. He lied to me. He told me that he was okay and the nightmares didn't haunt him anymore and I was not really glad about the fact that he lied to me.

But first, I had to get him out of his misery.

"Percy.  Percy, wake up!", I exclaimed. He let out another strangled sound and I had to do something quick.

So I said, " Perce, we are out. I'm safe. You're safe. Please wake up."

This looked like it did the trick as I saw him open his eyes and get into a sitting position. He looked relieved and I took his face in my hands as I pressed a kiss to his forehead.

" Are you okay?"

"Hmm"

This was the time because I wasn't a believer of delaying things. So I asked him," Why did you lie to me?"

He seemed distressed as he pleaded," Wise Girl, please understand..."

I was livid.

" No! You understand here something. Whenever we talk, the first thing I ask you is that if you are alright and if you are still battling your nightmares, and every single time  you lied and told me that you were fine. Do you get where I am coming from?"

Now this seemed to irritate him and he replied in a loud voice," I get where you are coming from but do you understand where I'm coming from? Every single nightmare of mine is about loosing you and seeing you in a sort of danger where I can't do anything to help. Anything. I do not want you worried about me."

Did I know where he came from? Of course I knew. We were best friends since we were twelve and are dating since we were sixteen. I knew him well and I understood. Seeing him this sad and vulnerable made me even more angry. How many nights did he spend alone with no one there to comfort him?

I started shoving him and hitting him on his chest repeatedly. " How dare you?! How dare you lie to me?!" This was all I could say and I could feel anger building up inside of him.

" ANNABETH!"

I stopped hitting him to notice that he had his hand raised. He suddenly halted and he trailed his eyes to his upraised hand and then

he broke down.

He completely broke down as he started crying and then he looked at me and opened his arms as to ask, " Can I come near you? Can I hug you?" and I went towards him to settle myself in these arms.

" I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry  Annabeth. I don't know what came over me. I would never hit you. Ever.", he got those words out as he sobbed his heart out,

and I understood. I understood why he was so affected. Growing up with an abusive stepdad, he would think that he would never grow up to be like him. A man who hit his wife, a man who hit his child.

He continued," I'm sorry. Don't leave me. I will never be like him." He looked up to see me through his tear brimmed eyes. I felt my heart clench as to think this person in front of me, who will do anything to protect the ones he love would ever compare himself to that man.

" I forgive you Seaweed Brain and don't ever compare yourself to him. Don't ", I said as I brought him closer to me and hugged him tightly.

" Thank you, for everything."

I just smiled at him and led him back to the bed where we settled as I rested my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

For the rest of the night, he slept peacefully as I caressed his hair.

I think this is my favourite chapter till now. Honestly, in every book, I feel that nightmare scenes and fighting then making up scenes are the cutest. Did you like this chapter? Do tell. I love reading all the comments.

On a side note, have you read A court of thorns and roses series by Sarah J Mass? I'm addicted.

So please vote, comment and never stop fangirling!