half of six

nicole hursh

11:40 am

"hey nicky, wait up!" data calls behind me. i stop and turn around, waiting for him.

he catches up quickly and we walk side by side to the library, bagged lunches in hand.

"where's mouth and mikey?" i ask him.

"don't know. hey do you think a tray holder could be a good new invention?"

"data, half of your inventions are not good ideas, i don't think you even need a lunch tray holder would be efficient considering you mainly bring home lunches," i reply.

"that's a good point, but lots of people eat school lunches," he explains going further into his idea. i'm not listening to a single thing he's saying because somewhere mouth is probably alone with mikey with one of my secrets that's about mikey.

i open the doors and allow data to go in first. at a faraway table sits mouth and mikey already. they're hunched over something and each eating pizza out of one hand.

"listen, we've gotta save the goon docks," mikey says looking mouth in the eyes. he's great at making direct eye contact. throw the kid some interest and your locking eyes in a heartbeat.

"mikey, i know you want to save the goon docks but there's no way," mouth says grasping his shoulders with a tone of voice that suggests mikey should just give up.

"there's gotta be a way, there's always a way," mikey replies trying to shake mouths hands off his shoulders.

"whatever," mouth says turning to reach for his lunch but looking at data and i instead.

"hey," i say sitting down across from them. i take my sandwich out and start to eat it while staring at them.

they're silent and still staring at me and data so i slowly start to pull my sandwich away from my mouth. if mouth told mikey i'm going to punch him in the throat i swear.

as instant as the thought comes into my mind mikey's optimism pops right back up.

"nicole, we have to save the goon docks!" he exclaims earning a groan from mouth's direction.

"mikey come on, just stop, you're making everyone's ears bleed," he groans tilting his chair back, far enough for it to tip over with him in it.

data laughs and peers over at him while i turn my gaze back to mikey.

"i'll help you save the goon docks, but later, some of us still have this stupid essay to finish," i tell him sitting down and opening my binder. i grab my essay and set it down before looking over to mouth. he's not doing his essay rather than messing with the pouch that data left there.

data's already ran towards to shelves to look for books, probably for some experiment or gadget he's working on.

"data, since you're already over there, could you get me some books for my essay?" i call out to him.

data flies out his arm and delivers a thumbs up while faced the other way. i grin widely realizing the fact that data does everything i say, much like a younger sibling would do if you bribed them with false rewards.

i turn back towards mikey, where mouth is now seated as well and watch them. mikey's frantically writing plans down on paper to try and inevitably save his house and the rest of the goon docks while mouth draws inappropriate things on his paper, him slouching back in his chair.

i shake my head and begin writing on my own sheet of paper. i wonder what mikey has planned to save the goon docks, it's a wide shot and basically impossible but he's really trying hard. mikey's a smart kid and he has a small sliver of potential on actually devising a plan that could work.

my wrist and fingers start to become sore so i stop writing and lean back, watching each boy do their own thing.

mouth looks up from his drawing at me and i avert my eyes from mikey to mouth quickly.

he laughs and sits up start, really enjoying himself.

"oh no way," he says out loud, laughing.

mikey looks over to him and around the room before sitting up straight as well.

"i can't do it," he tells us, confessing that he in fact won't be able to save his house.

"i told you, it's impossible, just beg your parents to let you live with me," mouth says smiling and trying to lighten to mood.

a glum feeling casts over all of us after mikey officiated that it's impossible, mikey, the one that knows all the facts.

"you'll visit us if you move, right?" i ask him.

"i'll try, i'm sure i can work something out," he replies with actual sadness laced into his voice. everything about this week is going to be sad. mikey leaving is only the beginning, next is data, who's moving to another city, then mouth who's dad and little sister are moving to the whole other side of town, and even chunk's mom is considering a move to the town over.

everything's going to change in astoria, prices are going to go up, more tourist are going to visit during summers, everything. 

i'm no longer going to be able to sit in these chairs with my best friends rather than by myself, i won't be able have anyone to joke with or someone to yell at anymore.

"mouth....are you going to knappa then?" i ask him, he keeps telling me he doesn't know yet but he's going to have an answer at some point.

"that schools gross, i think i'm just gonna ride my bike here. i mean who names their school to sound like a frat house?" he says finally.

"so you'll continue here then? with me? and chunk?" i ask with hope.

"i think so, knappa has like...two kids going to school there," mouth informs us for the millionth time with a scrunched up nose. mouth seems horrified of the idea of going to the knappa high.

"it doesn't look that bad, at least you don't have to be 'the mighty stompin' fishermen' anymore," mikey says joining the conversation. i look over to him and give him a smile.

"yeah but they're the loggers! that's worse," mouth says laughing and shaking his head.

"shut up mouth,"

"i swear to god nicky if you tell me to shut up one more time," mouth says eyeing me and turning to mikey with a smile. he wouldn't.

"okay, i'll stop," i say quick, too quick.

the bell rings causing me to stand up, gathering my things.

"do you still need a book?" data yells from the back of the library.

"no, but thank you anyways!" i yell back before catching up to mikey and mouth who're already at the door.

"hey mikey," i say when i'm by his side, "we'll save the goon docks, i know we will,"

please comment because i love seeing everyone's comments. even though i don't respond (i don't know HOW to) i literally look at everyone's comments and smile so wide. thanks for reading!